Dr. (Mrs.) Chinwe Ifeyinwa Chikwendu
Dr. Chikwendu’s research interests are in the areas of Medical, Public Health and Environmental Microbiology and Microbial Genetics. Her current research is largely in the areas of antimicrobial resistance in bacterial isolates, both clinical and environmental isolates, mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance, resistance factors as well as alternative sources of antimicrobial chemotherapy. I have also done work on bioremediation of environments polluted with industrial and textile dyes and treatment of sewage for use as compost
She is a member of a number of professional organizations including: Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM), American Society for Microbiology (ASM), Society for Applied Microbiology (SfAM) and Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World (OWSD).
She has attended many conferences and workshops, both local and international, among which are:
- Second South-East Zonal Symposium of the Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM), FUTO, 2015
- Molecular Approaches to Clinical Microbiology In Africa, University of Cape town, South Africa, Wellcome Trust Advanced Courses, 2014
- Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World (OWSD) African Regional Conference, Sunyani, Ghana, October, 2013
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Annual Conference and General Meeting (New Orleans, USA), May 2011
- Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM) Conference (FUTO), October 2010.
ACADEMIC AND PROFFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- PhD (Environmental Microbiology, 2012) University of Portharcourt, Choba, Rivers State, Nigeria
- M.Sc. (Microbiology, 2005) Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
- MBA (Project Management, 1997) Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- B.Sc. (Microbiology, 1989) University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
- Departmental Examination Officer : 2015 – 2018
- Ohalete, C. N., Obiajuru, I. O. C., Chikwendu, C. I., Nwabueze, R. N., Amadi, E. S., Okorondu, S. I., Nwaofor, C. N., and Nwaehiri, U. I. (2016). The Effects of Medicinal plant Extracts on extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase producing Bacterial Isolates. J. Microbiol. 30(2): 3572-3579.
- Chikwendu, Chinwe I., Egbadon, Emmanuel O., and Okuma Blessing. (2016). Antibacterial Potentials of Vernonia amygdalina against Antibiotic Resistant Salmonella Specie Isolated from Nworie River, Imo State, Nigeria. Letters of Natural Sciences. 56: 82-89.
- Chikwendu, C. I., Obi, R. K. and Amadi, E. S. (2015). Assessment of the microbiological status of some commercial yoghurt brands sold in Owerri metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria. J. Microbiol. 28: 2872-2877.
- Ikemeh, C. O., Chikwendu, C. I. and Amadi, E. S. (2015). Antimicrobial resistance in Enterococci isolated from poultry in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. Nig. J. Microbiol. 28: 2860-2871.
- I. Chikwendu, S. N. Ibe and G. C. Okpokwasili. (2014). Multiple Antimicrobial Resistance in Vibrio spp Isolated from River and Aquaculture Water Sources in Imo State, Nigeria. British Microbiology Research Journal 4(5): 560-569.