Sylvester Ifunanya Okorondu
Biodegradation, the chemical dissolution of materials by bacteria or other biological means. Microbial biodegradation of pollutants has intensified in recent years as humanity strives to find sustainable ways to clean up contaminated environments. Dr S. I. Okorondu and Dr C. O. Akujobi have worked on the Effects of Animal Wastes Treatments of Diesel Polluted Soils on Hydrocarbon-Utilizing Microbial Counts and Oil Degradation among others. Fermentation of food is the process of converting carbohydrate sugar to alcohol and carbon dioxide or organic acids using yeasts, bacteria or a combination. Useful products such as ethanol and other alcohols are produced by fermentation of less expensive and readily available food materials. Dr S. I. Okorondu has worked on Ethanol Production from Cassava Medicinal plants are various plants used in herbalism that has medicinal values. More than 50% of the world’s population relies mainly on plants and plants extracts for health care. There is a need for us to identify medicinal plants around us and make use of them in our health care as they do not have side effects as do chemically produced drugs. Dr S. I. Okorondu has done a lot of work on medicinal plants and their antimicrobial properties. Culture media are used to grow microorganisms in the laboratory. Efforts are been made to formulate culture media that could achieve the desired result as the conventional media and at the same time less expensive. Recently, Dr S. I. Okorondu has worked on Gari extract agar as a culture media for mycological studies.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- ♦ Ph. D. Applied Microbiology, 2010
- ♦ M. Sc. Industrial Microbiology, 1998
- ♦ B. Tech. Industrial Microbiology, 1992
Membership of Professional bodies
- ♦ Quality Controller (Microbiology), EMCEEA Pharmaceutical Company, Mgbidi, Imo State, 1995-1996.
- ♦ Field Officer, UNICEF Sponsored Project (Vitamin A Food Fortification Programme) 1996.
- ♦ Marketing officer, Consolidated Estates Building Society Limited, Orlu (Mortgage Bankers)1998-2000.
- ♦ Quality Controller (Microbiology), Afrik Pharmaceuticals Plc, Awo-Omamma, Imo State. 2000.
- ♦ Member, Nigerian Society of Microbiology.
- ♦ Member, Biotechnology Society of Nigeria.
- Akujobi, C. O., Nwaugo, V. I., Abanno, U. N. and Okorondu, S. I. (2009). Effects of Animal Wastes Treatments of Diesel Polluted Soils on Hydrocarbon-Utilizing Microbial Counts and Oil Degradation. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences, 5(2): 157-163.
- Akujobi, C. O., Njoku, H. O., Abanno, N., Okorondu, S. I. and Ogbulie, J. N. (2009). Effect of Different Organic Nutrient Supplements on the Total Heterotrophic Counts and Diesel Oil Degradation in Diesel Polluted Soil. International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences, 3(6): 1480-1490.
- Akujobi, C. O., Odu, N. N., Okorondu, S. I. and Nwachukwu, I.N. (2010). Growth inhibition of Amp C B-lactamase producing Escherichia coli and Metallo B-lactamase producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa by components of Aloe vera. Current Trends in Microbiology, 6:35-40.
- Akujobi, C. O., Odu, N. N. and Okorondu, S. I. (2012). Detection of Amp C Beta lactamase in clinical isolates of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella. African Journal of Clinical and Experimental Microbiology, 13:51-55.
- Braide, W., Nwaoguikpe, R. N., Oranusi, S. E., Udegbunam, L. I., Akobundu, C., Okorondu, S. I. (2011). The effect of biodegradation on the nutritional composition and microbiology of an edible long-winged reproductive termite, Macroterms bellicosus. Smeathman. Internetl Journal of Food Safety, 13:107-114
- Okorondu, S. I., Sokari, T. G., Okorondu, M. M. O., and Akujobi C. O. (2009). Phytochemical and Antibacterial Properties of Acalypha wilkesiana Plant. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture and Food Systems, 3(3): 208-211.
- Okorondu, S. I., Sokari, T. G., Okorondu, M .M. O. and Chinakwe, E. C. (2009). Phytochemical and Antibacterial Properties of Acalypha hispida Leaves. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences, 5(2): 191-194.
- Okorondu, S. I., Sokari, T. G., Akujobi, C. O., and Braide, W. (2010). Phytochemical and Antibacterial Properties of Musa paradisiaca Stalk Plant. International Journal of Biological Science, 2(3): 128-132.
- Okorondu, S. I., Nedosa, I. V., Wesley, B., and Akujobi, C. O. (2009). Ethanol Production from Cassava. Current Topic in Biotechnology, 5:65-70.
- Okorondu, S. I., Aririatu L.E., Chinakwe E.C., and W. Braide. (2010). Antibacterial Properties of Picralima nitida Seed Extract. Current Trend in Microbiology, 6: 13-19.
- Okorondu, S. I., Mepba, H. D., Okorondu, M. M. O. and Aririatu, L. E. (2010). Antibacterial Properties of Musa Paradisiaca Peel Extract. Current Trend in Microbiology, 6: 21-26
- Okorondu, S. I., Sokari, T. G., Akujobi, C. O., and Ogbulie, J. N. (2011). Gari extract agar as a culture media for mycological studies. Current Topics in Biotechnology, 6:35-39
- Okorondu, S. I. (2011). Evaluation of the Antifungal Properties of Picralima nitida Seed extracts. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences, 7(1):41-46