Solomon U. Oranusi
Microbiological and Chemical safety evaluations of foods (cooked, raw, fruits, vegetables, packed) available in Nigerian markets have been provided to educate consumers on the danger of consuming contaminated products. Different formulations of food using local available food items, designed for households and industries are ongoing. HACCP of ready to eat foods and packed water, optimization of local fermented foods, Biogas production.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- ♦ Ph.D., 2002, Microbiology, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Nigeria.
- ♦ M.Sc., 1997, Microbiology, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Nigeria.
- ♦ B.Sc., 1992, Microbiology, University of Nigeria Nsukka.
- ♦ Best teacher of the year St. Bartholomew Schools, Zaria 2001.
- ♦ Best HOD of the year St. Bartholomew Schools, Zaria 2002 .
- ♦ Best HOD of the year Igbinedion University 2007/2008.
- ♦ Vice Chancellor Igbinedion University letter of commendation 2007.
- ♦ Dean College of Natural and Applied Sciences IUO letter of commendation 2007Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising, 2011.
Membership of Professional bodies
- ♦ Member Institute of Public Analyst of Nigerian.
- ♦ Member, Nigerian Society of Microbiology.
- ♦ Fellow, Medical Laboratory Science council of Nigeria.
- ♦ Member Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology.
- ♦ Member Association of Industrial Microbiologists.
- ♦ ORANUSI, S. U., Ezeogu, L. I., Okolo, B. N. (1994) Microbial contaminants of commercially bottled non-alcoholic drinks produced in Nigeria.World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 10:488- 490.
- ♦ ORANUSI, S.U., Umoh, V. J.,and Kwaga, J. K. P. (2003) Hazards and critical control points of Kunun-zaki, a non-alcoholic beverage in Northern Nigeria. Food Microbiology 20: 127- 132.
- ♦ ORANUSI, S., Onyike, E., Galadima, M., and Umoh V. J. (2004) Hazard analysis critical control points of foods prepared by families in Zaria, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Microbiolgy18(1-2):346-362.
- ♦ Umoh, V. J., ORANUSI, S.U. and Kwaga, J. K. P. (2004) The Public Health Significance Of Pathogens Isolated From‘‘ Kunun-Zaki’’, Sold In Retail Outlets In Zaria, Nigeria. Nigerian Food Journal 22: 10-17.
- ♦ Umoh, V. J., ORANUSI, S. (2004 )Safety Assessment, Critical Control of Milk and Cereal Products AgriBusiness.
- ♦ ORANUSI, S., Galadima, M., and Umoh V. J. (2006) Toxicity test and bacteriophage typing of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from food contact surfaces and foods prepared by families in Zaria, Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology 5 (4) 362- 365.
- ♦ Nwanze, P., Jatto, W., ORANUSI, S. and Josiah, S. J. (2006) Proximate analysis of Lentinus sqarrosulus (Mont.) singer and Psathyrella atroumbonata pegler. African Journal of Biotechnology 5 (4) 366- 368.
- ♦ ORANUSI, S., Galadima, M., and Umoh V. J. (2006) Phage typing and toxigenicity test of Staphylococcus aureus strains from food contact surfaces and foods prepared in boarding schools in Zaria, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology 20 (2) : 1011-1017.
- ♦ ORANUSI, S., Galadima, M., Umoh V. J., and Nwanze P. (2007) Energy intake and Anthropometry: a case study of families in Zaria, Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology 6 (4) 459-464.
- ♦ Nwanze, P. I., Nwaru, L.M., ORANUSI, S., Dimkpa, U., Okwu,M.U., Babatunde, B.B., Anake, T.A., Jatto, W., and Asagwara, C.E. (2007) Urinary tract infection in Okada Village : Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern. Scientific Research and Essay 2(4) 112-116.
- ♦ Yah, S.C.,Eghafona, N.O.,ORANUSI, S. and Abouo, A. M. (2007) Widespread plasmids resistance genes among Proteus species in diabetic wounds of patients in the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH) Zaria. African Journal of Biotechnology 6(15) 1757-1762.
- ♦ ORANUSI, S., Galadima, M., Umoh V. J., and Nwanze P.I (2007) Food safety evaluation in boarding schools in Zaria, Nigeria, using the HACCP system. Scientific Research and Essay 2(10) 426-433.
- ♦ Nwanze, P.I., ORANUSI, S., Okwu, M.U., Eleke, F.N., Emeh, A.A., and Ibe, I.J.(2008) The effect of the interaction of different media with various oil rates on biomass production of Lentinus squarrosulus (Mont) singer and Psathyrella atroumbonata pegler in submerged liquid culture. The Nigerian Journal of Research and Production 13: (1)143-152.
- ♦ Nwanze, P.I., Okwu, M.U., ORANUSI, S., Emeh, A.A., Ibe, I.J.,and Ogu-Peter, P.U.(2009) The effects of the interaction of various oil types and rates on carpophores wet and dry weights and stipe and pileus diameters of Lentinus squarrosulus (Mont) singer. The Nigerian Academic Forum 15 (1)79-86.
- ♦ Oranusi S., Madu S. A., Braide W. and Oguoma O. I. (2011) Investigation on the safety and probiotic potentials of yoghurts sold in Owerri metropolis in Imo State Nigeria. Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials 3(6):146-152.
- ♦ W. Braide, S. Oranusi, L. I. Udegbunam, O. Oguoma, C. Akobondu, R. N. Nwaoguikpe (2011). Microbiological quality of an edible caterpillar of an emperor moth, Bunaea alcinoe. Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment 3(5):176 -180.
- ♦ W. Braide, R.N. Nwaoguikpe, S . Oranusi, L.I.Udegbunam, C. Akobondu, S.I. Okorondu (2011) The effect of biodeterioration on the nutritional composition and microbiology of an edible long-winged reproductive termite, Macroterms bellicosus. Smeathman. Internet Journal of Food Safety 3:107-114.
- ♦ W. Braide, S . Oranusi, R.N. Nwaoguikpe, C. Akobondu, O. I. Oguoma, L.I.Udegbunam (2011). Cocoyam (Colocasia esculenta): An alternative raw material for vinegar production. Current Topics in Biotechnology 6: 41-47.
- ♦ Oranusi S., Braide W (2012). A study of microbial safety of ready-to-eat foods vended on highways: Onitsha-Owerri, South east Nigeria. International Research Journal of Microbiology 3(2): 066-071.
- ♦ W. Braide, S.U. Oranusi, C.K. Akaluka, R.N. Nwaoguikpe, C.I. Akobondu, N.I.Peter-Ikechukwu (2012). Antibacterial efficacy of crude and diluted honey on four wound isolates. Global Advanced Research Journal of Microbiology 1(1): 001-004.
- ♦ Oranusi US, Braide Wesley, Osigwe GA (2012). Investigation on the microbial profile of canned foods. Journal of Biological and Food Science Research http://www.onlineresearchjournals.org/JBFSR.
- ♦ Oranusi US, Braide Wesley (2012). Microbiological Safety Assessment of Apple Fruits (Malus Domestica Borkh) Sold in Owerri Imo State Nigeria. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology.
- ♦ Braide W, Odiong IJ, Oranusi S.U (2012) Phytochemical and Antibacterial properties of the seed of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus). Prime Journal of Microbiology Research (PJMR) 2(3) www.primejournal.org/PJMR.