Christopher Nwanyanwu Ezeh PhD
The synthetic chemical compounds and its use has permeated every aspect of modern life. A particular widespread group of these chemicals is phenol and its derivatives. Phenol enters the environment through wastewater discharges from a variety of industries. Phenol is very toxic to all forms of life even to those aerobic mesophilic microorganisms that utilize it as a sole source of carbon and energy. Measurement of microbial dehydrogenase activity is used in the assessment of the ecotoxicological impact of environmental substrates as the enzymes are intracellular. Tetrazolium salts are reduced by viable cells and not by dead cells. This property has been used in agriculture to assess seed viability and since then many other applications were reported including the use of triphenyl tetrazolium chloride (TTC) in microbiology. The current research is aimed at assessing the growth responses of petroleum refinery effluent bacteria to phenol.
- Nwanyanwu C.E. 2011. Physiological stress response of sediment bacteria to interacting effects of petroleum refinery effluent. Intern. J. Nat. Appl. Scie. 7(1): 22 -28.
- Nwanyanwu C.E. and Abu G.O.2011. Influence of pH and inoculum size on phenol utilization by bacterial strains isolated from oil refinery effluent. Intern. J. Nat. Appl. Scie. 7(1): 55 -61.
- Nwanyanwu C.E. and Abu G.O.2011. Assessment of viability responses of refinery effluent bacteria after exposure to phenol stress. J. Res. Biol. 8: 594-602.
- Nwanyanwu C.E. and Abu G.O. 2010. In vitro effects of petroleum refinery wastewater on dehydrogenase activity in marine bacterial strains. Revita Ambiente and Agua 5: 21 – 29.
- Nwanyanwu C.E. 2010. Tolerance of phenol-utilizing bacteria to heavy metals in the Aba River sediment. Intern. J. Nat. Appl. Scie. 6(1): 55 -61.
- Orji J.C., Nweke C.O., Nwabueze R.N., Nwanyanwu C.E., Alisi C.S. and Etim-Osowo E.N. 2009. Production and properties of a- amylase from Citrobacter species. Rev. Ambi. Aqua. 4: 45 – 57.