Prof. (Mrs.) Justina Chibuogwu Orji (Nee Okolo)
Dr. (Mrs.) J. C. Orji is a Professor of Environmental Microbiology. She teaches Environmental Microbiology and Bioremediation to undergraduate and postgraduate students and has carried out researches in Environmental and Industrial Microbiology. She has supervised many undergraduate and postgraduate students, presented scientific papers at national and international conferences and published over thirty-five scientific papers in well-read journals. She was the Head of Department, Microbiology FUTO, 2011 – 2014 and is currently the University Admissions Officer. She is a member of many Departmental, School and University committees, notably the University Lectures Series Committee and FUTO Anticorruption and Transparency Unit. She belongs to the Nigerian Society for Microbiology among other professional organizations. Chibuogwu is a team player and enjoys mentoring people. She is passionate about books on human development. She is married and has a lovely family.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- B.Sc. (1987) – Microbiology (Second Class Hons, Upper Division)- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- M.Sc. (1991) – Industrial Microbiology – University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- MBA (1995) – Management – University of Nigeria Nsukka
- PhD (2004) – Environmental Management – Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt
Her current research interests are in the areas of biogas and bio fertiliser production from wastes and microbial responses to environmental perturbations.
- Best Departmental Student of Microbiology, UNN in the year 1986/87
- Chief Ifeanyi Enechukwu Prize to the best graduating student in Microbiology, UNN in the year 1986/1987
- Okolo, J.C., Obi, S.K.C. and Odibo, F.J.C. (1998). Purification and characterization of two distinct carboxymethylcelluloses of Paecilomyces Bioresource Technology 6: 231-234
- Okolo, J. C. and Amadi, E. N. (2005). Optimising crude oil biodegradation in a sandy loam soil using a mixture of cow dung and poultry manure. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. 5: 17-23
- Okolo, J. C. (2005). Purification and characterization of β-glucosidase produced by Paecilomyces sp. Global Journal of Pure and applied sciences 11 (3): 357-361
- Okolo, J. C., Amadi, E. N. and Odu, C. T. I (2005). Effects of soil treatments containing poultry manure on crude oil degradation in sandy loam soil. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research 3 (1): 47-53.
- Orji, Justina C., Nweke, Christian O., Nwabueze, Rose N., Anyaegbu, Blessing.,Chukwu, Juliet. C., Chukwueke, Chinyere P. and Nwanyanwu, Christopher. E. (2008). Impacts of some divalent cations on periplasmic nitrate reductase and dehydrogenase enzymes of Escherichia, Pseudomonas and Acinetobacter species. Rev. ambient. água: v. 3, n. 2, p5-18.
- Orji, J. C. and Ogwude, D. (2009). Effects of phenolic compounds on periplasmic nitrate reductase and dehydrogenase enzymes of Escherichia Nigerian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 24 (2):11-16.
- Orji, J. C. and Ezeobi, H. M. 2011. Batch culture studies of phosphate solubilisation by Micrococcus sp PSB7 isolated from rhizospheric soil. American-Eurasian J. of Agric. and Environ. Sci.10 (4):667-674.
- Adieze, I. E., Orji, J. C., Nwabueze, R. N. and Onyeze, G.O.C. 2012. Hydrocarbon stress response of four tropical plants in weathered crude oil contaminated soil in microcosms. International Journal of Environmental Studies. 69(3): 490-500.
- Ngumah Chima, Ogbulie Jude, Orji Justina and Amadi Ekperechi (2013).Potential of organic waste for biogas and biofertilizer production in Nigeria.Environmental Research, Engineering and Management.63 (1), P. 60-66.
- Orji, C., Adieze, I. E., Nwabueze, R. N. and Onyeze, G. O. C. 2015. Effect of bioaugmentation of crude oil polluted tropical soils on the growth of Panicum maximum. Journal of biodiversity and environmental sciences. Vol. 6, No. 4, 227-235.