The School of Environmental Sciences (SOES) was established in the 2010/2011 academic session with six departments namely:
- Department of Architecture (ARC),
- Department of Building Technology (BLD),
- Department of Environmental Management (EVM),
- Department of Quantity Survey (QTS),
- Department of Survey and Geo-Informatics (SVG), and
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning (URP).
While the above departments were new at the inception of the SOES in the 2010/2011 academic session, the Department of Environmental Management was moved from the School of Engineering and Engineering Technology where it used to be known as Environmental Technology (EVT).
The School was established to address the growing needs for an improved knowledge base and manpower to tackle the myriads of challenges associated with the use of environmental resources (land, water, plant and animal life forms), land use, built environments, construction materials management. The School started as School of Environmental Technology (SOET) but in 2015, the University Senate approved that the name of the School should be changed to School of Environmental Sciences.