2017 – 2018 SOET ACTION PLAN
3-POINT AGENDA FOR DRIVING THE CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE IN SOET
1. EXCELLENCE IN ACADEMIC & RESEARCH PRODUCTIVITY
2. EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING, LEARNING AND PRODUCTIVITY
3. IMPACTING SOCIETY POSITIVELY
a. EXCELLENCE IN ACADEMIC & RESEARCH PRODUCTIVITY
- Support and promote the highest quality of all academic programmes and disciplines
- Improve research quality and impact
- Improve infrastructure to support research
- Foster a stronger research culture, with a clearly measurable output.
- Introduce Career development initiatives
- Convene quarterly strategic intellectual dialogues on the future academic directions of different Departments and programme areas.
- Identify and develop clearly defined research priority areas to engage staff in all Departments in multidisciplinary, society-relevant research.
- Build up a mentorship program that promotes access and interactions between experienced researchers with expertise in areas (like grant writing, research design and methods) and other academic staff.
- Improve the functionality and revenue generation viability of laboratories in SOET.
- Establish/implement functional collaboration and linkage programmes with sister faculties and colleges within and outside Nigeria, for staff and student exchange.
- Departments to develop document and carry out individual career development plans for lecturers.
- Encourage young academics to seek PhD and postdoctoral research training in research laboratories abroad.
- Encourage staff to establish individual collaborations with scientists abroad.
- Establish criteria for identification and reward of established productive researchers (EPRs); and ensure support for excellent researchers, commensurate with their productivity, regardless of the research area.
- Obtain annual records of publications from each Department/Unit (from 2013) and ensure comprehensive and accurate recording of research publications in FUTO research database.
- Establish and maintain publication requirement for PG thesis submission and defence.
- Sustain the SOET Seminar Series
- Set up SOET Research & Innovation Committee
- Set up SOET Linkages Committee
b. EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING, LEARNING AND PRODUCTIVITY
- Discipline-based education
- Student-centered and student-active teaching
- Develop a college-wide plan for the effective use of technology in teaching.
- Ensure that results are timely and up-to-date
- Promote on-time graduation
- Zero tolerance for examination malpractice
- Improve the quality and intensity of student advisors by continuously engaging class advisers
- Improve quality and intensity of examination monitoring and invigilation.
- Encourage and enforce good work ethics, within discipline-based education research and teaching.
- Setup SOET Quality Assurance Committee to monitor staff compliance
- Develop SOET Quality Assurance Manual.
- Initiate consultations to implement a pilot-scale learning management system (LMS)
- Provide technical support and training for faculty who are interested in incorporating technology into their classroom practice.
- Include PG student supervision and completion targets in student allocation.
- Frequently evaluate strategies to boost timely completion of PG programs.
- Promote excellence in supervision through policy, best practice guidelines and training.
c. IMPACTING SOCIETY POSITIVELY
- To develop the structures for collaboration with Government, Industry and Society
- Promote the culture of society-relevant research
- Research for Development (R4D)
- SWOT Analysis to identify any impediments to collaboration with Government, Industry and Society.
- Identify stakeholders and potential partners
- Public consultations, networking and engagement to create lasting partnerships
- Set up Alumni relations initiatives
- Develop outreach programmes
- Appoint innovation scouts to identify and evaluate commercializable research outputs from the different Departments.
- Increase staff and student participation in community-engaged environmental initiatives.