Dr Uchechukwu M. Chukwuocha
BSc, (Industrial Microbiology), MSc (Medical Parasitology and Entomology), PhD, Medical Parasitology
Dr Chukwuocha a pioneer member of the Nigerian Young Academy. He was selected a young affiliate of the academy of sciences for the Developing World (TWAS) in 2010, participated in the meeting of Nobel laureates in medicine and physiology in Lindau, Germany (June, 2011) and was also awarded the TWAS-DFG cooperation visit to the Institute of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Berlin Germany (December 2011 –February, 2012). He has over fourty five publications in peer-reviewed journals and participated in several International and Local conferences with papers read. He is also a volunteer with some community-based NGOs.
Dr Chukwuocha was recently selected as a 2018/19 Fulbright scholar and was a TWAS CONACT T post-doctoral Fellow at the laboratory of Molecular Immunology, National Autonomous University Mexico. He is a reviewer for the TWAs advanced fellowships and TWAS DFG applications, a reviewer for peer-reviewed journals such as the malaria journal, tropical medicine and international health, BMC public health, tropical doctor, etc.
His current work is on the development of mobile games to enhance knowledge and positive behaviour towards malaria interventions, development of the household integration care to improve the community case management for childhood illnesses as well as the development of corner – a school-based approach to promote malaria knowledge among primary school pupils.
- Molecular and Immunological aspects of malaria, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases of the tropical prevalence
- Ecology, Epidemiology, Socioeconomic and cultural aspects and control of infectious diseases of tropical prevalence, in particular, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS and bacterial infections
- Ecology, Epidemiology, Socioeconomic aspects and Control of filariasis including onchocerciasis (river blindness), schistosomiasis, dracunculiasis (guinea worm), loiasis etc
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and reproductive health issues
- Environmental Health, Hygiene and Infection Control.
- Climate change and Traditional/Cultural impacts on infectious diseases.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- BSc, Industrial Microbiology(2001)
- MSc, Medical Parasitology and Entomology(2005)
- PhD, Medical Parasitology(2010)
- Chukwuocha U.M.(2011). Rapid assessment of home management of malaria among caregivers in parts of South Eastern Nigeria. Pan African Medical Journal.10:29
- Okwuoma Abanobi, Uchechukwu Chukwuocha, Celestine Onwuliri and Kenneth Opara. (2011). Primary motives for demand of ivermectin drugs in mass distribution programmes to control onchocerciasis. North American Journal of Medical Sciences. 3:89-94
- Chukwuocha U.M., Dozie I.N.S., Onwuliri C.O.E., Ukaga C.N., Nwoke B.E.B, Nwankwo B.O., Nwoke E.A., Nwokoro J.C., Nwoga K.S., Udujih O.G., Iwuala C.C., Ohaji E.T., Morakinyo O.M. and Adindu B.C.(2010). Perceptions on the use of Insecticide Treated Nets in parts of the Imo River Basin, Nigeria: Implications for preventing malaria in pregnancy. African Journal of Reproductive Health.14(1):117-128
- Chukwuocha U.M., Ukaga C.N., Dozie I.N.S.,Nwoke B.E.B., Ajaero C.M.U. and Nwachukwu M.I.(2010). Local knowledge and perceptions on the transmission, treatment and prevention of loiasis in parts of Niger Delta Area of Imo State, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Parasitology. 31(1):21-25.
- M. Chukwuocha Uche, O. Nwankwo Benjamin, N. Amadi Agwu, C. Esomonu Onyenonachi, I.N.S. Dozie, E. Ikegwuoha Aloy, O. Nwabueze Peter and O. Mbagwu Smart (2009). Treatment seeking behaviour of mothers for febrile children in some rural parts of Imo State Nigeria: Implications for home management of malaria in endemic areas. International Journal of Tropical Medicine.4(3):132-135
- Chukwuocha U.M., Ashiegbu K.K., Dozie I.N.S., Aguwa O.C.(2009). The perspectives of adolescents on common diseases and medicines used. A case study of a public secondary school in Owerri, Imo state, Nigeria. Scientific Research and Essays.4 (11)1403-1407.
- Chukwuocha U.M., Dozie, I.N., Amadi A.N, Nwankwo B.O., Ukaga C.N., Aguwa O.C., Abanobi O.C. and Nwoke E.A.(2008). Food Sanitation: The Knowledge, Attitude and Practices of Food Handlers in Owerri Metropolis of Imo State, Nigeria. East African Journal of Public Health.6 (3):240-3
- Chukwuocha U.M., Dozie I.N.S, Nwoke B.E.B, Ukaga C.N., Ajaero C.M.U, Nwankwo B.O.(2008). The application of remote sensing in identifying environmental factors associated with malaria risk in Nigeria: A potential use and need of the Nigerian satellites. Journal of Biological and Environmental sciences.2:19-21
- I.N.S. Dozie, C.O.E. Onwuliri, B.E.B. Nwoke, U.M. Chukwuocha, C.I. Chikwendu, I. Okoro, P.C. Njemanze (2005). Onchocerciasis and Epilepsy in parts of Imo River Basin, Nigeria. A Preliminary Report. Public Health. 120(5) :448-450.
- Uchechukwu M. Chukwuocha, Ikechukwu N.S. Dozie, Blaise O. Chikere (2006). Prevalence of Salmonella organisms and the duration of their survival in lizard droppings. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology. 20 (1):724 – 728.
- Public Health Parasitology and Microbiology
- Professional Experience
- Written and Submitted Technical Reports for the Government on Disease Burden of Imo State, Nigeria and Service availability Map of Imo State, Reviewer for International and Local Journals, Organized scientific conferences, attracted research grants, involved in University administration at the Departmental level and member of several Academic and Professional bodies.