Dr Chimezie Christian Iwuala
BSc (Biochemistry), MSc (Medical Microbiology), PhD (Public Health)
Dr Chimezie Christian Iwuala, currently a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Public Health, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, holds a Master’s degree (MSc) in
Medical Microbiology from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), University of London, and a Doctorate degree (PhD) in Public Health from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, with specialisation in Environmental Health & Safety. He has served the Department in various capacities, as SIWES/Field Trip Coordinator, Staff Adviser, Course Adviser, Deputy Postgraduate Coordinator, and particularly as the Departmental Examinations Officer from 2009-2016
He has published articles in local and international peer-reviewed journals, including the International Journal of Environmental Health & Human Development (IJEHHD), Journal of Public Health, and the African Journal of Reproductive Health. He is a member of the Parasitology and Public Health Society of Nigeria (PPSN), and the Royal Society for Public Health Protection, UK.
His areas of research interest include Health, Safety and Environment (HSE), Communicable and Non-Communicable Disease Control, Water Quality, Environmental Health, Hygiene and Infection Control, Human Genetics and Bioinformatics, Occupational Health & Industrial Hygiene, Public Health Nutrition, Disease Screening and Detection, Vector Control, Immunology and Vaccinology.
His work experience over the years includes Facilitator and Project Officer, Foundation for Healthy Environment and Human Development (FHEHD), an Internationally-oriented NGO; Quality Control/HSE Officer, NNPC/ IPCO Atlas Cove Depot Optimisation Project, Tarkwa Bay, Lagos; Health Advisor, Alliance Boots, United Kingdom, Patient Representative, Mount Vernon Hospitals, NHS Trust, Northwood, United Kingdom.
Dr. Chimezie Iwuala currently teaches Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses in Vector Control, Disease Screening & Detection, Human Genetics in Health & Disease, Environmental Health, Biotechnology, Immunology & Vaccinology, Occupational Health & Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Toxicology, Health Technology Assessment (HTA), Public Health Nutrition, Medical Biochemistry, Specific Protection, Medical Diagnostic Tests & Procedures, to mention just a few.
Outside his main academic field, Dr. Chimezie Iwuala also serves as a Lay-Minister in the Lighthouse Chapel International (LCI), and the Coordinator of the First Love Church in FUTO.
His hobbies are Soccer, Golf, Gospel Music, Reading and Renaissance Architecture. He is happily married with three lovely and blessed kids.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- BSc BIOCHEMISTRY (DECEMBER 1997).
- MSc MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY (NOVEMBER 2003).
- DLSHTM Medical Microbiology (February 2004).
- Iwuala C.C., Oodo M., Opara K.N. and Morakinyo O.M (2011): “Prevalence of Anaemia in Normal and HIV- Infected Persons in Mbano, Imo State, Nigeria; Journal of Health Sciences & Technology.
- Iwuala C.C., Ike G., Opara K.N, and Nwoke E.A (2011): “The Role and Impact of Traditional Birth Attendants in Pregnancy and Delivery in Imo State, Nigeria, Southeastern Nigeria” Journal of Health Sciences and Technology.
- Oparaocha E.T., Iwuala C.C., Nwaoha Hope N.,(2011): “Morbidity and Socioeconomic Burden of Malaria in Ehime Mbano Local Government Area, Imo State, Nigeria”; Journal of Health Sciences and Technology 1:128-135.
- Amadi A.N, Morakinyo O.M, Onuoha G, Amadi C.O.A and Iwuala C.C (2011): “Sanitation in Public Schools – A Case Study of Aba, Nigeria; International Journal of Environmental Health & Human Development 12 (1).
- Amadi A.N, Ebidan C.O, Amadi C, and Iwuala C.C (2011): Sustenance of Common Childhood Diseases in Abia State, Nigeria: International Journal of Environmental Health & Human Development 12 (2).
- Opara K.N, Nwoke E.A, Abanobi O.C, Onwuliri C.O.E and Iwuala C.C (2010): “Prevalence of Intestinal Parasites Among Children in Day- Care Centre’s in Owerri Metropolis, Nigeria”; Abstract 2010 – Nigerian Journal of Parasitology.
- Opara K.N, Nwoke E.A, Abanobi O.C, Onwuliri C.O.E and Iwuala C.C. (2010): “Perceptions about Malaria, Mosquito and Insecticide-Treated Nets in Rural Communities of Imo State, Nigeria”; Abstract 2010- Nigerian Journal of Parasitology.
- Chukwuocha U.M., Nwoke E.A., Nwawume I.C., Nworuh B. O., Iwuala C.C. and C.I.C Ebirim (2009): Clinical Features of Malaria Parasitaemia among Children in Parts of the Niger Delta area of Nigeria; the Global Journal of Medical Sciences 8(2): 35-41.
- Iwuala C., Onwusukwu U. B., Morakinyo O.M (2011); The Importance of Anthropometric Measurements in the Maintenance of Public health: International Journal of Environmental Health & Human Development; 12 (2):
- Medical biochemistry / Public health
- Professional Experience
- Quality control/health safety & environment (hse) officer (1999-2001)-ipco atlas cove depot optimisation project: NNPC/IPCO, graduate assistant, University of Maiduguri (1998-1999), health advisor, boots the chemist/ alliance boots plc, London, the united kingdom; manager, Lettsom pharmacy, London, UK. (2006-2008)