ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- SC (Hon) Botany –Sept 1992 – University of Jos, Nigeria
- SC (Hon) Nursing – July 2000 – University of Malta, Europe
- Masters in Public Health – 2004 – University of Malta, Europe
- FEND (2010) – Roehampton University, White Land. Putney. UK.
- PHD – March 2016 – Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member, American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE).
- Member, Diabetes UK
- Member, International Diabetes Federation
- Member, Federation of European Nurses on Diabetes
- Member, International Aids Society
- Member, Nigerian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism.
- SEC GENERAL, Diabetes Association of Nigeria, Imo State.
Dr Nwaokoro is a lecturer in the Department of Public Health Technology since March 2008. His major research interests are on all types of diabetes, Hypertension and Cancers. Dr Nwaokoro has published many articles in peer-reviewed journals and had delivered papers at both national and international conferences. Besides, he had worked in different health care units sharing his knowledge and passion in different fields of medicine. He has acted as a positive role model for nurses and students in general practice through the demonstration of strong leadership skills.
As a leader, he held different positions in different areas such as president of foreign nurses in Malta, secretary general to the Nigerian community in Malta, secretary general to Igbo community in Toronto, Canada and secretary general of Diabetes Association of Nigeria, Imo state chapter. He has adaptable and flexible working style, ability to prioritise and manage critical issues utilising problem-solving skills and above all ability to operate under pressure.
He is the president and founder of a non- governmental organization called Hammer Home the Glucose. This NGO has helped the reasonable number of people in Imo state and even beyond, across different states in Nigeria, teaching and supplying people with diabetes with insulin. The insulin supply is provided by a generous organization in the USA. He has been involved in training and creating awareness in villages and communities on important health tips and better living especially in the aspect of diabetes screening and hypertension. In June of 2014, Dr Nwaokoro was invited by the International Diabetes Federation to represent Africa on Diabetes Education Summit held in Singapore. He is a globetrotter and this has impacted positively on his teaching and delivery of services. He is happily married with children and above all, he is a Christian.
Students’ Award, School of Health Technology – Icon of leadership (2014)
Students’ Award, Public Health Department – Award Excellence (2015).
- Nwaokoro J.C, Ede A.O, Dozie I.J, Onwuliri C.D, Nwaokoro A.A&Ebiriekwe S.C (2016) Attitude and Perception on the Impact of Female Genital Mutilation on Health and Sex Drive among Married Women in Ebenebe, Awka North L.G.A., Anambra State Austin Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology Vol 3, No 4.
- Nwaokoro J.C., Ede A.O., Ibe S.N.O., Emerole C.O., Nwufo R.C., Nwaokoro A.A., Onwuliri D.C and Dozie J.I (2016). Challenges Faced in Accessing Diabetes Drugs in Low and Middle-Income Settings in Aba North, Southeast Nigeria. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research 13(3): 1-10, 2016, Article no.BJMMR.20764
- Nwaokoro J.C, Ede Alison O, Ibe Sally NO, Emerole Chima O,(2015). Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Female Condom use among Undergraduates of three Selected Higher institutions in Owerri, South-Eastern, Nigeria. Global Advanced Research Journal of Medicine and Medical Science (ISSN: 2315-5159) Vol. 4(3)
- Ede A.O, Nwaokoro J.C; & Iwuala C. (2014), The provisions of potable water in the eradication of Guinea worm disease in Ezza North, Ebonyi State. com. health, vol. 39(5): 980-986
- Nwaokoro J.C; Ede A.O; Emerole C.O & Ibe Sally N.O. (2014), Study on the effect of smoking on Type 2 Diabetic Patients in Federal Medical Center Owerri, Southeastern Nigeria Asian Journal of Medical Sciences. 5(3):63-71
- Nwaokoro J.C; Ede A.O & Emerole O (2014), Effectiveness of Traditional and Conventional Medicine in the Treatment of Diabetes: A Comparative Study of South-East, Nigeria, American Journal of Science and Technology. 1(2): 35-41
- Nwaokoro J.C; Ede A.O & Emerole C.O (2014), Community participation in the Prevention of diabetes complications in Urata LGA, Imo State, American Journal ofScience and Technology. 1(2): 69-76
- Nwaokoro J.C; Ede A.O & Emerole C.O (2014), Prevalence of needlestick injuries among healthcare workers at the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri, South-east Nigeria, J. of Health Sci. 2(3): 150-161
- Nwaokoro J.C; Ede A.O & Emerole C.O (2014), Assessment of the level of Knowledge, Attitude and Risk Perception of HIV/AIDs among Students in Owerri West Metropolis, South-Eastern, Nigeria. American Journal of Science and Technology; 1(4): 127-139
- O Anyadoh Nwadike, O. Eri, J.C Nwaokoro, P.O Nwadike(2011) Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus within the hospital environment. Asian Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Researches. 1(1): 17-21
- Nwaokoro J.C, Emerole C.O, Ibe S.N.O, Amadi A.N., Dozie N.S (2013) Risk Factors associated with Gestational Diabetes among pregnant women in Owerri Municipal council, Southeastern Nigeria. Science Journal of Public Health Vol 3, 5(1).
- Nwaokoro J.C., Dozie I.N.S., Amadi A.N., Emerole C.O., Ibe S.N.O. Trapani J, Ann Amaka Nwaokoro (2014) Mothers’ perception of stress involved in parenting a Diabetic child. Asian Journal of Medical Sciences. 5(3): 99-104.
- Iwuji Samuel Chidi, Nwafo Arthur, Chike Princewell Rewhuamwhu, Iwuji Ngozi Grace, Nwaokoro Joakin Chidozie (2013) Interactive Effect of combined Aqueous Leaf extract of Ocimum gratissimum and Vernonia amygdalina on fasting blood glucose in Rabbits American Journal of Pharmtech Research. 3(5).
- Iwuji Samuel Chidi, Nwafor Arthur, Azeez Taofik Oladimeji, Nwosu Emmanuel Chibuike, Nwaokoro Joakin Chidozie, Egwurugwu Jude, Danladi Nyganbala(2013) Nutritional and Electrolyte values of cnidoscolusaconitifolius (chaya) leaves consumed in Niger Delta, Nigeria. American Journal of Pharmatech Research. 3(6).
- Chukwuocha U.M, Dozie I.N.S., Onwuliri C.O.E., Ukaga C.N., Nwoke B.E.B., Nwankwo O., Nwoke E.A., Nwaokoro J.C., Nwoga K.S., Udujih O.G., Iwuala C.C., Ohaji E.T., Morankinyo O.M. and Adindu B.C.(2010) Perception on the Use of Insecticides treated Nets in parts of the Imo River Basin, Nigeria: Implications for preventing malaria in pregnancy. African Journal of Reproductive Health 14(1):117-128.
- Emerole C.O., Nwawume I.C., Nwaokoro J.C., Njoku-Obi T.I., Chukwuocha U.M.(2013) Conventional malaria diagnosis: An overview. The Korean Journal of 47(2): 93-107.
- Nwaokoro J.C., Okokon B.E., A.A. Nwaokoro, C.O. Emerole, S.N.O. Ibe, Onwuliri V.A., R.N. Oputa, Chukwuocha U.M(2014) Problems associated with treatment compliance among type 2 diabetic patients attending an outpatient clinic at a tertiary health institution in South Eastern Nigeria. African Journal of Diabetes Medicine, 22(1):24-26.
- Nwaokoro J.C., Ede Alison O., Emerole C.O, Ibe S.N.O., Amadi A.N., Dozie I.N.S., Iwuji S.C.The Effect of Smoking on Type 2 Diabetic patients using federal medical centre Owerri as the focal point, southeastern Nigeria. Asian Journal of Medical Sciences.
- Nwaokoro J.C., Ede Alison O, Emerole C.O., Ibe S.N.O. Incidence and causes of needlestick injuries among healthcare workers at the federal medical centre (FMC) Owerri, southeastern Research Journal of Health Sciences, Osun State University.
- Alison Okorie Ede, Joakin Chidozie Nwaokoro, C.C. Iwuala, A.N Amadi, Ugochinyere AlvanaAkpelu (2014) The provision of potable water in Eradication of Guinea worm infection in Ezza North, Southeastern Nigeria. American Journal of Community Health. Springer. D01 10.1007/S 10900-014-9842-X
- Ibe Sally N.O., Nwoke E.A., Emerole, C.O., Onyeocha F.A., Nwawume I.C., Nwaokoro Joakin Chidozie (2014) Knowledge, Attitude and Perception of Road Transport Workers to HIV/AIDs, STI and condom use in Southeast, Nigeria. American Association of Science and Technology.1(2):50-54.
- Emerole, C.O., Nwaokoro, J.C., Nwawume, I.C., Nwakamma, G.I., Nwufo, R.C., (2014) Prevalence and determinants of overweight and obesity among undergraduates in a university in Owerri Southeastern Nigeria. International Journal of clinical medicine Research 2014, 1(3):65-71.
- Nwaokoro Joakin Chidozie, Aguis-Muscat Hugo, Ellul Alan, Trapani Josel, Grixti Moira. (2014) Impact of physical activity in glycaemic control of type 2 diabetic adults amongst the Maltese population. International Journal of Clinical Medicine Research 2014, 1(3): 109-120.
- Nwaokoro, J.C., Onwuliri V.A., Emerole C.O., Ibe S.N., Nwadike. P.O., Nwufo R.C., Ebiriekwe S.C. (2015) Evaluation of factors influencing diabetes management among pregnant women in Ahiazu Mbaise, Imo state. Science Journal of Public Health 2015; 3(5-1): 51-57
- Chukwuocha, U.M, Dozie L, N.S., Ashiegbu, K.K., Onwuliri, C.O.E., Aguwa, O.C.Nwoke E.A. Udujih O.G. Nwaokoro J.C., Nwawume I.C.(2011) Influence of Phenotypes on Immunity to Plasmodium falciparum malaria among women in parts of Imo River Basin, Nigeria. African Journal of Clinical and Experimental Microbiology Jan 2011
- Chukwuocha U.M., Njoku Obi T.N., Emerole C.O., Nwaokoro J.C., Nwawume I.C. and Nwufo, C.N.,(2012) Directly observed therapy (DOT) and tuberculosis treatment protocol in Nigeria. American Health Advocacy Trust.
- Nnodim Johnkennedy, N Onwu Magnus, Obioma Elemba J.E., Udujih Bernard Uche, Nwaokoro Joakin Chidozie, Amah Henry (2015) Alterations of serum electrolytes and Malondialdehyde in Cataract Patients attending general hospital Owerri. Journal of Krishna Institute of Medical Science University.
- NnodimmJohn Kennedy, Udujih Bernard Uche, Nwaokoro Joakin Chidozie, Uche Ukonu and Onah Christina (2015). Alteration of homocysteine in sickle cell Anaemia Journal of Medical and Biological Science Research. 1(4): 44-46.
- Oputa, RN, Ekwueme, C, Amah, JN, Chinenye S, Nwaokoro C.J (2016) Connecting Peptide ( Peptide) and the duration of diabetes mellitus amongst patients, at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Owerri, Southeast, Nigeria. Research Journal of Health Science. Vol 4, No 1.
- Nwaokoro J.C, Dozie I.J, Onwuliri C.D, Akubue E.N, Onwuliri V.A ( In the Press) Awareness of the Prevalence of Tuberculosis in Anambra West Local Government Area, Anambra State. Journal of Epidemiological Research. ( Accepted)
- Worked in hospitals in different units such as Orthopaedic, Anaesthesia, Surgery, Renal unit and of course, Diabetes clinic.
- Worked as a Supervisor in International Aids Society (IAS) Toronto, Canada -2006.
- Attended Primary Care Diabetes Europe conference held in Amsterdam in September 2007.
- Attended International Diabetes Federation held in October 2009 in Montreal, Canada.
- Attended EASD Conference held in Austria in September 2010.
- Attended Nigerian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism conference held in Abuja 2008.
- Presented a paper at World Diabetes Congress held in Melbourne, Australia December, 2014.
- Invited to Singapore by International Diabetes Federation to represent Africa on Diabetes Education Summit, June 2014.
Hospital – Westchester Medical centre, Vahalla, New York. USA
March – September 1999 Clinical placement in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. (SICU)
July 2000 – Graduated from the Institute of Healthcare, University of Malta, Europe.
September 2000 – March 2002, Anaesthetic Nurse, St Luke’s Hospital, Malta.
March 2002 – April 2004, Renal Nurse, St Luke’s Hospital, Malta
August 2004 – December 2006, Orthopaedic Nurse, St Michael’s Hospital, Down Town, Toronto, Canada.
January 2007 – March 2008 MedSurg Nurse, King’s College Hospital, London.
March 2008 – Federal University of Technology Owerri