SCHOOL OF PHYSICAL SCIENCE
The school of Physical Sciences (SOPS) was established in 1981 as the School of Natural and Applied Sciences (SNAS).
Since then, it has evolved both in name and academic structure, having since then been renamed School of Earth, Mineral and Natural Sciences (SEMS), School of Science (SOSC) and finally, School of Physical Sciences effective 15th June 2015.
The academic structure of the then SNAS consisted of four (4) programme Areas and fourteen programmes.
- Physical Sciences programme Area with industrial Mathematics, Industrial Physics, Computer Science and Applied Geosciences Programmes.
- Chemical Sciences and Technology programme Area with Industrial Chemistry, Polymer and Fibre Science and Technology, Petrochemical Science and Technology and Textile Technology programmes.
- Food and Biochemical Technology programme Area with food processing Technology, Brewing Technology, and Industrial Biochemistry programmes.
- Biological Sciences programme Area with Industrial Microbiology, Environmental Science and Pollution control Technology and Genetic Engineering programmes.
With time, several aspects of the programme Areas and programmes were modified, merged and/or transferred to other Schools:
- Mathematics was merged with Computer Science to form mathematics and Computer Science.
- Food and Biochemical Technology programme Area was moved first to School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology and subsequently to School of Engineering and Engineering Technology.
- Applied Geosciences programme was renamed Geology programme.
- Polymer/Fire Science and Technology, Petrochemical Science and Technology as well as Textile Technology in the Chemical Sciences and Technology programme Area, were transferred to the School of Engineering and Engineering Technology.
Consequent on the above development and following the NUC seminar held in Kaduna in 1988 on courses offered by Federal University of Technology and the subsequent decision of Federal University of Technology Owerri to operate a departmental structure, the School of Science began to operate the following academic departments.
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Geology
- Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Physics.
In the 2005/2006 academic session, the Department of Science Laboratory Technology was established. In the 2008/2009 academic session, the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science was split to provide the following three new departments viz:
- Department of Computer Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics.
The School of Science was split on June 15, 2015, into two schools namely:
- School of Biological Sciences with three (3) Departments from the Department of Biological Sciences.
- School of Physical Sciences with seven (7) Departments.