DR CHRISTOGONUS OUDNEY, AKALEZI (PhD)
POSITION/RANK: SENIOR LECTURER
Dr Akalezi is presently a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Chemistry, the Federal University of Technology Owerri, attached to the Physical Chemistry section. He obtained his B.Sc. in Industrial Chemistry from the Federal University of Technology Owerri, M.Sc. in Physical Chemistry from the University of Lagos and PhD in Physical Chemistry from the Federal University of Technology Owerri.
Dr Akalezi has ample Industrial experience. He quit a fruitful career in the industry to join the academia in 2005. Dr Akalezi has successfully coordinated/taught undergraduate courses including ‘Chemical kinetics ‘and ‘Chemical thermodynamics’, industrial Chemistry courses including, ‘Process Technology’, ‘Paints and Adhesives chemistry’ and ‘Soap and detergent’. Currently, Dr Akalezi’s teaching and research are associated with the Electrochemical and Materials Research Unit of the Department of Chemistry. Major activities include Corrosion inhibition and its prediction for selected organic compounds via computational chemistry, Electrochemical and Potentiodynamic measurements and Surface analysis; Chemical Kinetics and prediction of Reaction Mechanisms; Renewable Feedstock and Biotechnology.
- Extraction of natural plant / Synthesis of organic compounds as metal corrosion inhibitors in corrosive media.
- Corrosion inhibition of metals/evaluation of corrosion efficiency of various biomass materials via Potentiodynamic measurement and Surface analysis.
- Use of computational methods in modelling and predicting Atomic-Scale properties of novel materials using the density functional theory (DFT)
- Modelling and characterization of various biomass materials useful for graphene synthesis/or production
Dr Akalezi has specialized in across disciplinary chemistry areas such as Foundation/General Chemistry; Chemical kinetics and Thermodynamics; Surface/Colloidal Chemistry/ Paints and Adhesives/Soaps and Detergents, Electrochemistry and Process Technology
Lecturer and Researcher undergraduate courses
Lecturer and Researcher Postgraduate courses
Lecturer and Researcher Masters students
Lecturer and researcher PhD students.
PROFESSIONAL BODY MEMBERSHIP
Member Chemical Society of Nigerian (MCSN)
PUBLICATIONS (SOME CURRENT PUBLICATIONS)
- C.E. Ogukwe, C.O. Akalezi, M. A. Chidiebere, K.L. Oguzie, Z.O. Iheabunike, E.E. Oguzie (2012) Corrosion inhibition and adsorption of Anthocleistadjalonesisleaf extraction the acid corrosion of mild steel, Portugaliae ElectrochimicaActa, Vol. 30(3), pp. 189-202.
- Oguzie, Emeka; Oguzie, Kanayo; Akalezi, Chris; Ogbulie, Jude; Udeze, Irene; Njoku, Victor (2013) Natural Products for Materials Protection: Corrosion and microbial growth inhibition using Capsicum frutescensbiomass extracts, ACS sustainable chemistry and Engineering, Vol. 1(2), pp. 214-225.
- Chris O. Akalezi, Cynthia E. Ogukwe Conrad K. Enenebeaku, Emeka E. Oguzie, Corrosion inhibition of Aluminum pigments in Aqueous Alkaline Medium using Plant Extracts, Environment and Pollution, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp 45-60, 2012
- Chris O Akalezi, Emeka E Oguzie, Conrad K Enenebaku, Application of aqueous extracts of coffee senna for control of mild steel corrosion in acidic environment International Journal of Industrial Chemistry 2012, 3:13 doi:10.1186/2228-5547-3-13
- C. Akalezi, C. Enenebeaku, B. Okolue, E. Oguzie, ‘Potentials of Hyppocratea planch leaves to extract as inhibition towards the corrosion of mild steel in acidic media’, Der Pharma Chemica, 2012, 4(3): 1195-1205
- C.O. Akalezi, C.K. Enenebeaku, E.E. Oguzie. Inhibition of acid corrosion inhibition of mild steel by biomass extract from the petersianthus macrocarpus plant. Journal, Materials Environment Science, (2013), 4(2), 217-226.
- Chris O. Akalezi, Emeka E. Oguzie, Cynthia E. Ogukwe, Everest A. EJele Rothmannia longiflora extract as a corrosion inhibitor for mild steel, in acidic media, Int J Ind Chem. (2015) 6:273–284: DOI 10.1007/s40090-015-0050-z.
- Cynthia E. Ogukwe, Gabriel O. Oze, Conrad E. Enenebeaku and Chris O Akalezi, Chemical interaction of synthetic and natural remediating agents with crude oil on agricultural soil, Der ChemicaSinica, 2014, 5(2):124-128.
- Enenebeaku K. Conrad, Okorocha J, Nnaemeka, Akalezi O. Chris, Adsorptive Removal of Methylene Blue from Aqueous Solution Using Agricultural Waste: Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic Studies. American Journal of Chemistry and Materials Science.2015; 2(3): 14-25.
- Chris O. Akalezi, Emeka E. Oguzie, Cynthia E. Ogukwe, Everest A. EJele Evaluation of anticorrosion properties of Chrysophyllum albidum leaves extract for mild steel protection in acidic media. Int J Ind Chem (2016) 7:81–92: DOI 10.1007/s40090-015-0057-5.
- C.O. Akalezi, C.E. Ogukwe, E.A. Ejele and E.E. Oguzie Mild steel protection in acidic media using Mucuna pruriens seed extract. Int. J. Corros. Scale Inhib., 2016, 5, no. 2, 132–146.
- C.O. Akalezi, C.E. Ogukwe, E.A. Ejele and E.E. Oguzie. Corrosion inhibition properties of Gongronema latifollium extract in acidic media. Int. J. Corros. Scale Inhib., 2016, 5, no. 3, 232–247