PROF MARTIN ONWU CHIDOZIE OGWUEGBU:
RANK: PROFESSOR OF INDUSTRIAL/APPLIED INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
PROFILE: ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
Martin Onwu Chidozie obtained his MSc degree from the University of Sheffield, England in 1984 as a Master of Metallurgy. He earned his PhD in Applied/Inorganic chemistry. His specialized in mineral processing and coordination chemistry. He has lectured in Imo State University from 1984-1991 and Abia State University from 1991 to 2010. He has been a visiting lecturer at the Copperbelt University Zambia from 1996 to 2001. And also •A visiting Fellow at the Institute of Chemical Physics for Environment, Materials & Energy (INQUIMAE), Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences, University of Buenos Aires, Republic of Argentina, 2001 – 2003, Sponsored by The Third World Academy of Sciences, Trieste, Italy. He was the HOD of Department of Chemistry Abia State University from 2002 to 2010 and was finally employed as a full-time staff of Federal University of technology from 2010. He is the HOD, Chemistry, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, 2016 to date.
Prof M.O.C Ogwuegbu is a well-experienced researcher, lecturer and astute learner. With over 25 years’ experience in teaching and research, he has published over 100 papers and over 2000 citations. He is a member of various internationally recognized institutes and organizations such as •Member, Technical Committee of Solid Minerals Producers and Marketers Association of Nigeria, 1995 – 2006. Member, Nigerian Chemical Association and Metallurgical Association., Member, Engineering Institute of Zambia. Member, New York Academy of Sciences., Member, Advisory Board, American Biographical Institute (ABI) Inc., Releigh, North Carolina, USA, 2001 – date. Member, National Universities Commission (NUC) Accreditation Teams. He has successfully graduated over 15 PhD students, 25 MSc students and several undergraduates. He stands out as a reviewer and editor of various international peer-review journals like the FUTO journal series and Journal of Raw Materials Research (Fed. Min. of Sci. and Technology Journal)., and has authored several books.
Mineral Processing/Extraction Metallurgy
Separation Chemistry and Surface Chemistry
Environmental Pollution and Control.
Lecturer and Researcher undergraduate courses
Lecturer and Research Postgraduate courses
Lecturer and Researcher Masters students
Lecturer and researcher PhD students
Imo State Government Scholarship Award for B.Sc. Degree in Chemistry, at the University of Calabar, Nigeria, 1976 – 1980.
Federal Government Scholarship Award for Postgraduate Diploma in Metallurgy; Dip, Met.) and Master’s Degree in Metallurgy (M. Met) in Iron and Steel Technology, at the University of Sheffield, England, 1982 -1984.
Imo State University Fellowship Award for PhD Degree in Industrial Chemistry, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 1988 – 1991.
The Best Lecturer Award, Abia State University, Uturu, 2008/2009 session.
An Associate Fellow of the Third World Academy of Sciences (2001 -2003).
PROFESSIONAL BODY MEMBERSHIP
Member, Technical Committee of Solid Minerals Producers and Marketers Association of Nigeria, 1995 – 2006.
Member, Nigerian Chemical Association and Metallurgical Association.,
Member, Engineering Institute of Zambia.,
Member, New York Academy of Sciences
PUBLICATIONS (SOME PUBLICATIONS)
- Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. and Ehirim, A.I.C. (2011). Coordination Chemistry in Medicine and Biochemical Systems. Madonna Intern. Journal of Research, 3(1), 95 -112, (Nigeria).
- Arinze, J.C., Daniel, N.E. and Ogwuegbu, M.O.C (2011). Synthesis and Characterization of p-Nitrobenzoylpyrazolone -5 and Its Complexes of Mn (II), Fe(III), Rh(III) (VI) and U(VI). of Emerg. Trends in Engr. and Appl. Scis. (JETEAS), Vol. 3(1), 61-68 (UK).
- Onyedika, G.O., Achusim-Udenko, C.A. and Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. (2012). Chemistry, Processes and Problems of Complex Ores Utilization: Hydrometallurgical Options. Jn. Of Chem. Scis, Vol. 10(1), 112-130 (India).
- Onyedika, G., Ugwu, P., Ogwuegbu, M., Ejike, E., Nwoye, C. and Jiann-Yang, F. (2012). Model for Prediction of Concentration of Extracted Tin during Leaching of Cassiterite in Potassium Hydroxide Solution. Minerals & Matl. Charact. & Engr. (JMMCE), Vol. 11, 730 – 734 (USA).
- Eke we, N.D. Arinze, A., Nnanna, L.A., Ukpabi, C.F., Agwu, A. and Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. (2012). Synthesis, Complexation and Characterization of 1-phenyl-3-methyl-4-(p-nitrobenzoyl) pyrazolone-5 and its Complexes of Barium(II), Strontium(II) and Zinc (II). American Journal of Chemistry, 2(2), 52-56 (USA).
- Onyedika, G.O., Achusim, U.A.C., Ukiwe, L.N., Ogukwe, C.E. and Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. (2012). Physico-Chemical Assessment of Rivers around Mineralized Marcasite. Jn. Of Scientific Research and Reviews,Vol. 1(3), 31-34.
- Onyedika, G., Ogwuegbu, M., Ejike, E., Ayuk, A. and Nwoye, E. (2013). Recovery of High-Grade Tin Oxide (SnO2) from Cassiterite Ore by Microwave Pretreatment, Leaching, and Precipitation. In: ‘Characterization of Minerals, Metals and Materials 2013’, Texas, USA; Hwang, J.Y., Bai, C., Carpenter, J., Ikhmayies, S.J., Li, B., Monteiro, S.N., Peng, Z., and Zhang, M. (eds.), John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, pp. 407 –
- Onyedika, G. Onwumere, T. and Ogwuegbu, M. (2013). Kinetic Study of Recovery of Iron from Cassiterite Ore, In: ‘Extraction and Processing Division (EPD) Congress of TMS 2013’, Texas, USA; Free, M.L. & Siegmud, A.H. (eds.), John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, pp. 269 – 276.
- Onyedika, G. Nwoko, C., Oguharah, A. and Ogwuegbu, M. (2013). Comparative Kinetics of Iron Ore Dissolution in Aqueous HCl–HNO3 Jn of Minerals & Materials Characterization and Engrg. (JMMCE), Vol. 1, 153 – 159 (USA).
- Onyedika, G., Arinze, J. and Ogwuegbu, M. (2013). Studies on Extraction Behavior of Cobalt (II) With Nitrobenzoylpyrazolone-5. Minerals Materials Character. & Engrg., Vol. 1, pp. 90-94 (USA).
- Ogwuegbu, M.O.C., Onyedika, G.O., Bowen, L. and Onwukamike, K. (2014, Feb.). Differential Characterization of Ikperejere Iron Shale and Iron Sandstone. In “Characterization of Minerals, Metals and Materials 2014”, San Diego, California, USA (16-20th Febr., 2014); Carpenter, J. Bai, C., etc (eds), John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, USA.
- Ehirim, A.I.C., Ibe, C.O., Achinihu. I.O. and Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. (2014). Liquid-liquid Extraction Separation of Maganese (U) and Tungsten (VI) by 4-butanoyl-3-methyl-l-phenylpyrazol-5-one in chloroform, Jn. of Appllied Chem., Vol. 7(11), 22-26.
- Ehirim, A.I.C. and Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. (2014). Solvent Extraction of Manganese (II) with l-phenyl-3-methyl-4-butanoylpyrazol-5-one in chloroform, of Emerging Trends in Engineering & Applied Sciences (JETEAS), Vol. 5(4), 277-280 (USA).
- Ehirim, A.I.C., Elenwoke, U.E. and Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. (2014). Synthesis and Spectroscopic Studies of 4-butanoyl-3-methyl-l-phenylpyrazol-5-one and its Mn(II), La(IU), Zn(IU), V(V) and W(VI) complexes, Journal of Sci. and Research (IJSR), 3(10), 720-729 (India).
- Onyedika, G.O. Ogwuegbu, M.O.C. and Onuoha, G.N. (2015). Energy Potential of Microwave Heating: Prior to and in Leaching of Low-grade Kura Cassiterite Ore in Jos, Nigeria. FUTO Journal Series (FUTOJNLS), 1(1), 78-83 (Nigeria).
- Ononuju, A.O., Ogwuegbu, M.O.C., Ayuk, A.A. and Onu, L. (2016). Spectroscopic Determination of the Stoichiometries and Stability Constants of Iron (III) and Aluminium (III) Complexes of Salicylic Acid. Jn. Chem. Soc. Nigeria, Vol. 41(2), 143 -149 (Nigeria).