Department of Geology, School of Physical Sciences, FUTO.
Dr Onyekuru, Samuel Okechukwu is a Reader in
BIOGRAPHY OF SAMUEL OKECHUKWU ONYEKURU (PhD; KSC)
Dr Samuel Okechukwu Onyekuru hails from Umuorii-Uratta in Owerri North Local Government Area of Imo State.
He has a humble beginning with a Primary School education at Alum/OriiUratta, in 1981. Armed with a First School Leaving Certificate, he proceeded to the well-known Comprehensive Secondary School Egbu, where he obtained the West African School Certificate (WASC) in 1986. He went on to acquire an Advanced level Certificate from Government Secondary School, Owerri in 1987 and proceeded to the erstwhile Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH), Awka Campus, for his B.Sc. Degree, where he emerged the Best Graduating Geoscience Student in the 1990/1991session.
During his National Youth Service Corps programme in 1992, Dr Onyekuru began his foray into the practice of geoscience and worked as a Project Geologist with Kwara Water Corporation, Ilorin and later the Corps Liaison Officer, Ilorin West Local Government Area. He successfully mapped Ilorin and its Environs and was rewarded by the Ilorin West Local Government and NYSC with Honours Award and Commendation Certificate respectively. His first teaching experience was a short stint as a Physics teacher at Irete Girls Secondary School, Owerri from 1993 to 1994.
Within the next years (1994 -1997) Dr Onyekuru went on to become a Hydrogeologist for Jagal Nig. Limited, Lagos during the World-Bank Sponsored Rural Water Rehabilitation Schemes in Imo and Akwa Ibom States. He obtained an M.Sc. degree in Hydrogeology from the Federal University of Technology Owerri in 2000. His M.Sc. thesis won the NMGS Best Thesis Award in Port Harcourt, 2000. With this added qualification he was easily promoted between 1998 and 2001 by Borehole Water Services Limited (BOWASEL) Lagos and its parent company, China Geo-engineering Corporation (CGC) Kaduna, where he rose from Senior Hydrogeologist to Chief Hydrogeologist/Project Manager in the Expansion of Gombe Township Water Project. Within this period he completed the Petroleum Trust Fund Rural water projects in Abuja, FCT, Cross River including Bakassi, Kogi, Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Maiduguri, Sokoto and Zamfara States.
Due to his love for academics, Dr Onyekuru resigned his job with CGC on February 19, 2002, to join the Federal University of Technology Owerri as an Assistant Lecturer. Within a space of 8 years, he rose to the position of Senior Lecturer after obtaining his Doctorate degree (PhD) in Petroleum/Sedimentary Geology from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) in 2010.
With over 45 publications in various core geoscience disciplines, more than 16 years lecturing experience under his belt and active participation in various software and field training here in Nigeria and abroad, Dr Onyekuru is an accomplished academician.
He has also held some key positions in the University, having just served out a tenure as the Deputy/Ag. Director, Institute of Erosion Studies and presently, the Ag. Head of Department, Department of Geology FUTO.
Beyond the classroom and university administration, Dr Onyekuru is an active member of several professional bodies including but not limited to NAPE, AAPG, NMGS, COMEG, etc. where he regularly brings his research findings to the industrial sector through paper presentations.
Dr Sam Onyekuru is a Knight of St. Christopher, Owerri Council and is happily married with 5 children. Some of the Training/Staff Development Services include:
- Paper Presenter/Participant at the 17th World Owerri Peoples’ Congress (WOPC) held at Laurel, Maryland, United States of America, 2017
- Participant 2016 Imperial Barrel Award, Lagos, 2016
- ExxonMobil – AAPG Certificate on Completion of a Five Day Workshop on Sequence Stratigraphy, Lagos; 2015
- Paper Presenter/Participant at the 14th World Owerri Peoples’ Congress (WOPC) held at Nashville Tennessee, United States of America, 2014
- ExxonMobil – Schlumberger Petrel Certificate on Petrel Introduction G&G, Lagos; 2012
- Ehimade Nigeria Limited Geoscience Train – The – Trainer Workshop on Sequence Stratigraphy, Basic Seismic and Well Log Interpretation, Enugu; 2012
- Coordinator Department of Geology, Fut. Owerri, 2012 to Date
- PTDF Organised OpenDtech Training, on Seismic Interpretation and Sequence Stratigraphy, Lagos;2011
- Geological Mapping of Ejekwe Sheet-Ongoing (Sponsored by Agip Nigeria)
- Participant, 1st NAU/Southeast Water Resources Capacity Network Workshop (June, 2011)
- AGIP Train-The-Trainer Training on Field Mapping, Auchi, Edo State, 2011
- IGEPS Economic Summit, Dublin, Ireland. 2010
- World Water/Agricultural Summit, TELAVIV, Israel, 2009
Published Papers in Referred Journals
- Ibe, K.M., Nwankwor, G.I. and Onyekuru, S.O., 2001. Assessment of Groundwater Vulnerability and its Application to the Development of Protection Strategy for the Water Supply Aquifer in Owerri, Southeastern Nigeria, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 67, Pp. 323-360.
- Opara, A.I., Onyekuru, S.O. and Nwokei, K.I., 2005.Hydrogeochemical Study of Surface and Groundwater Systems in Parts of Okigwe, Upper Imo River Basin, Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 12, No.2, Pp. 6233-6242.
- Onyekuru, S.O. and Iwuagwu, C.J., 2010. Depositional Environments and Sequence Stratigraphic Interpretation of the Campano-Maastrichtian Nkporo Shale Group and Mamu Formation Exposures at Leru-Okigwe Axis, Anambra Basin, Southeastern Nigeria, Australian Journal of Basic And Applied Sciences. Vol. 4, No. 12. Pp. 6623 – 6640.
- Onyekuru, S.O., Nwankwor, G.I. and Akaolisa, C.Z., 2010. Chemical Characteristics of the Groundwater Systems in the Southern Anambra Basin, Nigeria, Journal of Applied Sciences Research, Vol. 6. No. 12. Pp. 2164-2172.
- Ahiarakwem, C.A. and Onyekuru, S.O., A Comparative Assessment of the Physico-Chemical and Microbial Trends in Njaba River, Niger Delta Basin, Southeastern Nigeria, Journal of Water Resource and Protection, Vol. 3, Pp. 686-693.
- Onunkwo-A, A., Uzoije, A. P. and Onyekuru, S.O., Application of Geographic Information System (GIS) in Industrial Land Capability Index Mapping of a Developing Country. A Case Study of Enugu Area, South-Eastern Nigeria, International Journal of Current Research, Vol. 3, No. 8, Pp.100-105.
- Selemo, A.O.I., Okereke, C.N., Nwagbara, J.O., and Onyekuru, S.O., Mapping of Major Geologic Ring Structures Using Nigsat Imegery in Jos Area and Environs, North Central Nigeria, International Journal of Sustainable Development, Vol. 4, No. 4, Pp.100-105.
- Onunkwo, A-A., Ibeneme, S.I. and Onyekuru, S.O., Application of Geographic Information System (GIS) in Composite Land Capability Index Mapping of a Developing Country (A Case Study of Enugu Area, South-Eastern, Nigeria), Global Jour. of Engg. & Tech., Vol. 4, No. 4, Pp. 483-492.
- Okeke, O.C., Onyekuru, S.O., Uduehi and Israel, H. O., 2011. Geology and Hydrogeology of Northern Ishan District, Edo State, Southwestern Nigeria, International Research Journal of Geology and Mining (IRJGM) Vol. 1, No. 1, Pp. 001-011.
- Onyekuru, S.O., Ibelegbu, E.C., Iwuagwu, C.J., A. G. Essien and Akaolisa, C.Z., 2012. Sequence Stratigraphic Analysis of “Xb Field”, Central Swamp Depobelt, Niger Delta Basin, Southern Nigeria, International Journal of Geosciences, Vol. 3, Pp. 237-257.
- Onyekuru, S.O.,Opara, A.I., A.E. Agumanu, A-A. Onunkwo, C.A. Ahiarakwem And Nwozor, K.K., 2012. A Multi-Technique Evaluation Of The Groundwater Resource Potentials Of Wuro Juli Well Field, Gombe Sub-Basin, Nigeria, Elixir Geoscience, Vol. 50, Pp. 10266-10271.
- Nwozor, K.K., Chiaghanam, O.I., Egbuachor, C.J. And Onyekuru, S.O., 2012. Surface Geophysics Character Of Maastrichtian – Danian Sediments In Parts Of Udi – Ezeagu Area, Southern Anambra Basin, Nigeria, Archives Of Applied Science Research, Vol.4 No. 4, Pp. 1609-1617.
- Onyekuru, S.O., Agumanu, A.E. Ahiarakwem C.A. And Okeke, O.C., 2012. Hydrogeochemical Study Of Surface And Groundwater Systems In Parts Of Umuahia And Environs, Niger Delta Basin, Nigeria, International Journal Of Current Rsearch, Vol. 4. No. 10. Pp. 115-118.
- Okereke, C.N., J. Nwagbara, O, Okoro, R. And Chinemelu, E.S. 2012. Interpretation Of Structural Features Based On Nigeriasat-1 Imagery Of Benin City And Environs, International Journal Of Emerging Trends In Engineering And Development, Vol. 4. No. 2, Pp. 192-200.
- Okereke, C.N., A-A. Onunkwo And Onyekuru, S.O. 2012.Analysis Of Aeromagnetic Data Of Lower Imo River Basin, Se. Nigeria,Advances In Science And Technology, Vol. 6, No. 1, Pp. 4-12.
- Ukaonu, C.E., Onyekuru, S.O., Bassey, E.O. And Oti, M.N., 2012.Delineation Of The Cretaceous/Paleogene Boundary Using Outcrops And Well Data In The Nsukka Formation Anambra Basin, Nigeria, Bull. Nape, Vol. 24, No. 1.
- Ahiarakwem, C. A., Nwankwor, G.I., Onyekuru, S.O. And Idoko, M.A., 2012.An Assessment Of The Physical And Environmental Aspects Of A Tropical Lake: A Case Study Of The Oguta Lake Watershed, Niger Delta Basin, Nigeria,American International Journal Of Contemporary Research Vol. 2 No. 7, Pp. 53-60.
- Ulasi, A, I., Onyekuru, S.O. And Iwuagwu, C.J. 2012. Petrophysical Evaluation Of Uzek Well Using Well Log And Core Data, Offshore Depobelt, Niger Delta, Nigeria,Advances In Applied Sciences Research, Vol. 3, No. 5, Pp.2966-2991.
- Ahiarakwem, C.A., G. I. Nwankwor, C. J. Iwuagwu, E. N. Ejike And Onyekuru, S.O., , Water Quality Monitoring Of A Tropical Lake And Associated Rivers: A Case Study Of Oguta Lake And Its Tributaries, Niger Delta Basin, Southeastern Nigeria, Journal Of Environmental Science And Engineering, Vol. 1, Pp. 818-826.
- Onunkwo A-A., Onyekuru, S.O., And Nwankwor, G.I., 2012. Land Capability Index Mapping For Waste Disposal Landuse Option Using Geographic Information System (Gis) In Enugu Area, South Eastern Nigeria, Journal Of Geographic Information System, Vol. 4, Pp. 444-461.
- Onyekuru, S.O., C.J. Iwuagwu, And Nwankwor, G.I., 2013. Dispersal Patterns Of The Late Cretaceous To Early-Tertiary Sediments In The Southern Anambra Basin, Southeastern Nigeria,International Journal Of Geosciences, 2013, Vol. 4, Pp. 588-604.
- Onyekuru, S.O., 2013. Stratigraphy And Petroleum Plays Of The Late To Middle Oligocene Sediments In The “Xy” Field, Onshore Niger Delta Basin, Nigeria, International Journal Of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 4, No. 9, Pp. 627-636.
- Nwagbara, J.O., Ibeneme, S.I, Dim, E.E., Iroegbu, U.K., Selemo, A.O., Ejiogu, B.C Andonyekuru,S.O., 2013. Hydrogeochemical Analysis Of Water Samples From Nworie River, Owerri Southeastern Nigeria, The International Journal Of Engineering And Science (Ijes), Vol. 2, No. 9, Pp. 58- 67.
- Ibeneme, S. I., Okereke, C. N., Selemo, A. O., Onu, N.N., Onyekuru,S. O., Nwagbara, J. O., Ikoro, D. O. And Enwerem, C. I., 2013. Structural Styles Interpreted From Aeromagnetic And Landsat Data Of Bel And Adjoining Areas, Middle Benue Trough, Nigeria,International Journal Of Remote Sensing & Geoscience (Ijrsg), Vol. 9, No. 6, Pp. 50-55.
- Nnaji, A.O., Sylvanus I. Iro And Onyekuru, S.O., Application Of Geographic Information System In The Mapping Of Otamiri River Watershed In Owerri, Nigeria, International Journal Of Engineering Sciences (Ti Journals), Vol. 3, No. 1, Pp. 1-5
- Opara, K.D., Obioha, Y.E.,Onyekuru, S.O, Okereke, C.N. And Ibeneme, S.I., 2014. Petrology And Geochemistry Of Basement Complex Rocks In Okom-Ita Area, Oban Massif, Southeastern Nigeria, International Journal Of Geosciences (Ijg), Vol. 4., No. 5, Pp. 394-407
- Ikoro, D.O., Amajor, L.C., Iwuagwu, C.J., Ubechu, B., Israel, H.O., Onyekuru, S.O., And Ekeocha, N.O., 2014. Pebble Morphometric Analysis As Aid To Environmental Determination: A Case Study Of Ajali Sandstone In Nkpologu Southeastern Nigeria,International Journal Of Emerging Trends In Engineering And Development, Vol. 3, No. Pp. 812-828.
- Opara, A.I., Onyewuchi, R.A.,Onyekuru, O., Okonkwo, A.C., Nwosu, I.E., Emberga, T.T. And Nnosiri, O.P., 2014. Structural Interpretation Of Afikpo Sub-Basin: Evidences From Airnorne Magnetic And Landsat Etm Data, Elixir International Journal, Vol. 71, Pp. 24565-24552.
- Onyekuru, S.O., Okereke, C.N., S. I. Ibeneme, A. O. Nnaji, C. Z. Akaolisa, C. A. Ahiarakwem, M. O. Ibecheozo And Ukiwe, L.N., 2014.An Evaluation Of The Spatial Distributions Of The Physico-Chemical And Microbial Contents Of Nworie River In Owerri, Southeastern Nigeria, British Journal Of Applied Science & Technology Vol. 4, No. 25, Pp. 3687-3700.
- Ahiarakwem, C.A.,Onyekuru, S.O., And Nwankwor, G.I., 2014.An Assessment Of The Geotechnical Aspects Of Njaba River Sediments In The Eastern Niger Delta Basin, Southeastern Nigeria,Journal Of Earth Sciences And Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, Pp. 95-107.
- Opara, A.I., Onyewuchi, R.A., Selemo, A.O.I., Onyekuru, S.O.,Ubechu, B.O., Emberga, T.T., Ibim, D.F., And Nosiri,O.P., 2014. Structural And Tectonic Features Of Ugep And Environs, Calabar Flank, Southeastern Nigeria: Evidences From Aeromagnetic And Landsat-Etm Data,Mitteilungen Klosterneuburg, Vol. 64, No. 7, Pp. 33-54,
- Anietie, E. E, C. J. Iwuagwu, O. Onyekuru And C.E. Bassey. 2014. Geochemical Evaluation Of Thermal Maturity Of The Cretaceous Sediments In The Calabar Flank Based On The Distribution Of The Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons,Iosr Journal Of Applied Geology And Geophysics (Iosr-Jagg) Vol. 2, Issue 6, Pp. 01-07
- Opara A.I., Inyang. E.,Onyekuru,O., Emberga, T.T., Ekwe, A.C. And Eke, D.R., 2015.Estimates Of Aquifer Hydraulic Characteristics And Vulnerability From Surface Resistivity Data: Case Study Of Ugep And Environs, Southeastern Nigeria, International Journal Of Scientific &Engineering Research, Vol. 6, Issue 9, Pp. 220 – 233.
- Onyekuru, O., Opara, K.D., Iwuagwu, C.J. And Opara, A.I., 2015. Diagenetic Study Of Sandstone Sediments In Parts Of Anambra Andafikpo Basins, Southeastern Nigeria.Futo Journal Series (Futojnls), Vol. 1, Issue 2. Pp. 316 – 321.
- Opara, A.I., Onyekuru,S.O., Mbagwu, E.C., Emberga, T.T., Ijeomah, K.C., And Nwokocha, K.C., 2015. Integrating Landsat-Etm And Aeromagnetic Data For Enhanced Structural Interpretation Over Naraguta Area, North-Central Nigeria.International Journal Of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 6, Issue 9. Pp. 186 – 195
- Opara, A. I., Onyekuru.O., Essien, A.G., Onyewuchi, R.A., Okonkwo, A.C., Emberga, T.T. And Nosiri, O.P., 2015. Lineament And Tectonic Interpretation Over Abakiliki Area: Evidences From Airborne Magnetic And Landsat Etm Data, International Journal Of Research And Innovations In Earth Science, Volume 2, Issue 4, Pp. 111 -121
- Emberga, T.T., Opara, A.I., Onyekurus.,Selemo A., 2016.Structural And Tectonic Interpretations From Airborne Magnetic And Landsat Etm Data: A Case Study Of Yola Arm Of The Upper Benue Trough, Nigeria, International Journal Of Science And Research (Ijsr) Vol. 5 Issue 2, Pp. 1802 -1808
- Nwokocha, K.C., Opara, A.I., Onyekuru,O., Okereke, C.N., Emberga, T.T., Ugwuegbu, E.I.1, Ijeomah, K.C., 2016.,Linear Features Interpreted Over Parts Of The Younger Granite Complex, North Central Nigeria Using Hram And Landsat‐Etm Data.Arabian Journal Of Earth Sciences, Vol.3 Issue 1: Pp. 35-56.
- Selemo, A. O. I., Atunima, E. J., Akaolisa, C. Z., Onyekuru, O., Okereke, C. N., Ibeneme, S. I., Ezekiel, J.C. And Njoku, I.O.,2016. Seismic Sequence Stratigraphy And Structural Trends Of The Clastic Deposits In Parts Of Niger Delta, Nigeria.International Journal Of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 7, Issue 6, Pp. 190 -197
- Onyedika, G.O., Achusim, U.A.C., Onyekuru, S.O. And Ogwuegbu, M.O.C.Chemical, Mineralogical And Environmental Aspects Of The Umuobom Pyrite Deposit, Anambra Basin, Nigeria. Futo Journal Series (Futojnls) Volume-2, Issue-2, Pp- 379 – 392. 2016
- K. Nwozor, L. O. Onuorah, S. O. Onyekuru, C. J. Egbuachor. Calibration Of Gardner Coefficient For Density–Velocity Relationships Of Tertiary Sediments In Niger Delta Basin. Petrol Explor Prod Technol January, 2017
- Onunkwo A. A. Onyekuru S. O. Opara K. D. Uche F. Ikechukwu. Assessment Of The Concentration Of Inorganic Chemical Elements In The Pollution Status Of Water Boreholes In Awka-Anambra Sedimentary Basin, Se, Nigeria.Environmental Management And Sustainable Development Issn 2164-7682 2017, Vol. 6, No. 1
- O. Onyekuru, Okoro, Eze M., Opara, K.D., Agumanu, A.E. And Ikoro, D.O. Paleoenvironment And Provenance Studies Of Ajali Sandstone In Igbere Area, Afikpo Basin, Nigeria. The International Journal Of Engineering And Science (Ijes) Volume 6 Issue 2, Pp 19-30 2017 Issn (E): 2319 – 1813 Issn (P): 2319 – 1805
- Cyril E. Ukaonu, Samuel O. Onyekuru And Diugo O. Ikoro. Facies Architecture And Reservoir Properties Of Campanian-Maastrichtian Nkporo Formation In The Anambra Basin, Nigeria.Scientific Research Journal (Scirj), Volume V, Issue Ii, February 2017 1 Issn 2201-2796
- Young Ezenwa Obioha, Akunne A. Onunkwo, Chikwendu N. Okereke, Sabinus, I. Ibeneme, Samuel Onyekuru, Hope Isreal, Bridget Ubechu. Geotechnical Evolution Of Granitoids Of Northwest Obudu, Bamenda Massif, Southeastern Nigeria: Geochemistry Evidence. Journal Of Scientific And Engineering Research, 2016, 3(3):429-438.
- Onyekuru, S. O., Nwankwor, G. I., Okeke, O. C., Okoye, C. And Opara, K.D.An Assessment Of The Pollution Potential Of Hand Pump Wells From Septic Tank Units In The Hostel Areas Of The Federal University Of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria.Futo Journal Series (Futojnls). 2017
- Onyekuru, S.O., Nwankwoala, H.O., And Uzor I. Heavy Metal Analysis Of Otamiri River In Imo State, Southeastern Nigeria Journal Of Ecology & Natural Resources 2017 Volume 1 Issue 3
- Iwuoha P.O, Onyekuru, S.O, Iwuagwu, C.J, Iwuji C.C; Adiela U.P.Sedimentological And Provenance Study Of Clay Deposits In Orlu And Environs Southeastern Nigeria.Tle International Journal Of Science Research Vol. 3. Issue .3. 2017
- Jude Enyinnaya Oleson, Samuel Okechukwu Onyekuru, Obae Eneojo Christian, Stephen Onum Adikwu. Evaluation Of The Stratigraphic Sequences In The “Alpha- Field”, Eastern Coastal Depobelt, Niger Delta Basin. American Journal Of Earth Science And Engineering 2018 Http://Www.Aascit.Org/Journal/Ajese