School of Physical Sciences has made modest progress in pure and applied research despite the glaring limitations of equipment and material. Staff and students have carried out research in the area of astrophysics, solar energy and materials Physics, Applied Chemistry, Geosciences, Laboratory Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Science, and Statistics.
The School is also responsible for the offering and management of most of the foundation courses (comprising University-wide 100 level and 200 level courses) in the basic science disciplines of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science. In addition, the School of Physical Sciences is charged with the coordination and management of the pre-degree programme.
The past Deans of the School since inception are listed below:
- Prof. S. J. Igarashi– 1981 – 1983
- Prof. E. O. I. Banijo– 1983 – 1985
- Prof. S. C. O. Ugbolue– 1985 – 1987
- Prof. U. B. C. O. Ejike– 1987 – 1990
- Prof. K. E. Osondu– 1990 – 1992
- Prof. A. I. Ukoha– 1992 – 1996
- Prof. B. N. Onwuagba– 1996 – 1998
- Prof. U. B. C. O. Ejike– 1998 – 2002
- Prof. M.O. E. Iwuala– 2002 – 2006
- Prof. G. I. Nwankwor– 2006 – 2008
- Prof. F. C. Eze– 2008 – 2012
- Prof. F. O. U. Osuala– 2012 – 2015
- Prof. B. C. Anusionwu– 2015 – Date.