Prof. Nnenna Nnannaya OTI
BSc., MSc., PhD
8th Substantive Vice-Chancellor
Federal University of Technology, Owerri
A Brief Citation
Professor (Mrs.) Nnenna Nnannaya Oti is from Afikpo, Ebonyi State. A highly seasoned, versatile and accomplished scholar, Nnenna is a Professor of Soil Science and Environmental Conservation, who was recently appointed the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO).
Prof. Nnenna Oti made a First Class Honours Degree in Soil Science, and has an M.Sc in Soil Microbiology/Biochemistry from the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN), before proceeding to the Katholieke Universitiet Leuven, Belgium, where she bagged a PGD (Distinction) in Irrigation Engineering. In 2002, Nnenna broke an unusual record when she won the NUC – Best PhD in Nigeria Award.
She transferred her services from UNN to FUTO 30 years ago. Her service in FUTO includes 3 cycles as the Head of Department of Soil Science and Technology; 4 years as Dean of Post Graduate School and Chairman, Committee of Deans. Her duties have also included membership of University Senate, joint Council/Senate Committees, Faculty and Departmental Boards and Chairmanship of several Committees.
A Fellow of the Soil Science Society of Nigeria, Prof. Nnenna Oti, is a Chartered Soil Scientist, Member Agricultural Society of Nigeria, Member Soil Science Society of America, Member Crop Science Society of America and Member Agronomy Society of America and a host of others.
With over 70 peer-reviewed national and international publications, Nnenna has also delivered over 100 invited papers at local, national and international platforms on Gender Issues, Youth Empowerment, National Development, Good Governance and Leadership. This responsible union advocate is driven by her passion to create a just and fair world for all.
She is a Team Leader and active member of a number of research teams, including the latest World Bank Centre of Excellence, FUTO CEs-PESS (Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Procurement, Environment and Social Standards) worth millions of Dollars in 2019, the European Economic Commission Linkage Research Trust to Develop Sustainable Supplementary Irrigation Farming Systems for the Derived Savannah Zones of Nigeria, at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka worth millions of Euros, in 1986 etc.
In the course of her scholarship, Nnenna Oti has won the Federal Government Merit Award; Best Graduating Student Faculty of Agriculture, UNN prize; U.A.C of Nigeria prize for Best Student in Agriculture and Best Graduating Student, Department of Soil Science Prize all in 1982. In 1986 she won the European Economic Community Scholarship (EEC) for Developing Countries to Study in Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium and a World Bank Grant for Overseas Development of Academic Staff in Nigeria in 1995. She crowned it all with the NUC – Best PhD Award in Nigeria 2002.
She was a Visiting Scholar at The Ohio State University, USA, 1996-1997; a Visiting Professor at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike, Abia State (2013-2015) and an Adjunct Professor Imo State University from 2009-2020. As a Distinguished Delegate to the 2014 National Conference, Prof. Oti has helped to develop the blueprint of a great Nigeria. She has also served as a Resource Professor/Consultant to several Ministries, Departments and Agencies of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Mrs Nnenna Oti has received commendation letters from different Vice-Chancellors (1) “… for positively projecting the image of FUTO in the National Arena by her excellent academic records … (2009)”; (2) “… for her excellent performance as the Chairman of Gender Policy Committee … (2011)” and (3) “… for her Efforts and Positive Contributions to the Nigerian Society… (2013)”. Nnenna has served the Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities (ASSU) in various active capacities, finally becoming the ONLY female member (in a 31-member team) for ASUU/ FGN Negotiating Team (2006-2009).
Prof. Nnenna Oti is driven by excellence, passion for positive impact and love for humanity. A good team player, with a very friendly disposition, Nnenna sees every obstacle as an opportunity to move ahead. She enjoys robust health through her daily exercise regimen of jogging 10 km, yoga, flexibility and bodybuilding training!
She is a Christian who firmly believes in family values, truth, honesty, integrity, forgiveness, humility, loyalty and hard work. She is married with 3 adult children. THE ONLY LIFE WORTH LIVING IS THE LIFE OF SERVICE TO HUMANITY!
Honours / Awards
- 2003: Best PhD Thesis in Nigeria (2002) Award – National Universities Commission, NUC, Nigeria Doctoral Thesis Award Scheme (NUDTAS)
- 2004: Certificate OF Merit, Federal University of Technology, Owerri for producing the best PhD Dissertation in Soil Science in Nigeria (2002) by the National Universities Commission’s rating.
- 2004 – 2006: Post Doctoral Fellowship Award, Ebonyi State Government of Nigeria.
- 1978 – 1982: Federal Government of Nigeria Merit Award
- 1982: Best Graduating Student, Faculty of Agriculture, UNN
- 1977: Imo State Government Student Scholarship Award
- 1982: U.A.C. of Nigeria Prize for Best Student in Agriculture
- 1982: Best Graduating Student, Department of Soil Science
- 1986 – 1987: European Economic Community Scholarship (EEC) for Developing Countries in Katholic University, Leuven, Belgium
- 1996 – 1997: World Bank Grant for Overseas Development for Academic Staff in Nigeria Scholarship Scheme for PhD Universities. Lome III Project.
- 1997 – 2002: Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria Staff Scholarship for PhD Studies
- 2014: Delegate, 2014 National Conference representing Ebonyi/South East
- 1990 – date: Federal University of Technology, Owerri, FUTO.
- Professor of Soil Science & Environmental Conservation, 2008 – date
- Senior lecturer, 2000 – 2005.
- Lecturer I, 1993 – 2000.
- Lecturer II, 1990 – 1993.
- 1983 – 1990: University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Lecturer II, 1987 – 1990
- Assistant Lecturer, 1986 – 1987
- Graduate Assistant, 1983 – 1986.
- 1982 – 1983: Federal Polytechnic Bauchi, Bauchi State. (National Youth Service Corps, NYSC).
Soil and fertility management; nitrogen fixation in farming systems; productivity decline induced by erosion on the yield performance of maize and lands; carbon dynamics etc.
List of Peer-reviewed publications
Edited a handbook. Published over 60 academic papers, 40 seminar and workshop papers, 50 Public Lectures and over 10 technical Reports for the Federal Government of Nigeria.