Prof. Stanley I. Onwukwe is a Professor of Petroleum Engineering with over twenty (20)years of cumulative experience in teaching and research in the Department of Petroleum Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO). He is also an alumnus of the prestigious Federal University of Technology, Owerri, where he obtained his BEng, MEng, and PhD degrees; all in Petroleum Engineering.
He has held many administrative positions, which include: Ag. Head, Department of Petroleum Engineering(2016-2018); Associate Dean, School of Engineering and Engineering Technology (2019-2020); and presently, Head, Department of Material and Metallurgical Engineering(2021-present).
Prof. Onwukwe is a dynamic and resourceful scholar and a leading specialist in the areas of Reservoir Engineering, Petroleum Production, Gas Processing, and Petroleum Economics. He has published over fifty(50) technical and conference papers in local and international journals.
Prof. Onwukwe is a COREN registered Engineer; Fellow, Nigeria Institution of Petroleum Engineers (FNIPetE); Member, Society of Petroleum Engineers (MSPE), Member, Nigeria Society of Engineers (MNSE).
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Petroleum Engineering. 2011
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng)– Petroleum Engineering.2001
- Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng) – Petroleum Engineering.1996
- West Africa School Certificate (WASC O’Level).1989
- First School leaving certificate (FSLC).1983
- Professional Excellence Award by the Institute of Resources and Scientific Management
- Appreciation Award by the Centre of Excellence, University of Benin
- Step-B world Bank grant, 2011
- TETFund Institution based research fund award, 2021
- Fellow, Nigeria Institution of Petroleum Engineers (FNIPetE)
- Member, Society of Petroleum Engineers (MSPE) Member,
- Nigeria Society of Engineers (MNSE).
Courses Assigned to Teach
i. PET 202: Introduction to Petroleum Engineering
ii. PET 302: Drilling Fluid Technology
iii. PET304: Reservoir Engineering I
iv. PET 403: Reservoir Engineering II
v. PET405: Petroleum Production Engineering II
vi. PET 504: Petroleum Production Engineering III
vi. PET 506: Enhanced Oil Recovery
vii. PET 519: Petroleum Economics
viii. PET 521: Natural Gas Engineering
Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State(2002 – Present)
- Professor of Petroleum Engineering
- Teaching, research and community service
- Undergraduate and postgraduate research supervision
- Initiate and carry out independent research work
- Seek practical application of research findings
- Advisorship/ University Administration
Shell Petroleum and Development Company (SPDC) (2020 to 2021)
- Sabbatical: Academic/Research Advisor, SPDC Center of Excellence (CoE) in Geosciences and Petroleum Engineering, University of Benin.
- Training and Academic advisory role to postgraduate students on internship.
- Liaison between the Centre and the SMEs
- Planning and coordinating of academic program
- Assisting in the general administration of the Centre.
- Consultancy Services:
Resources consultant/personnel to oil and gas companies on the following short courses:
- Petroleum Economics and Risk Evaluation
- Natural Gas Processing Technology
- Oil Field Evaluation and Development
- Water Injection and Water treatment
- Fundamentals of Enhanced Oil Recovery
Reservoir Engineering/Enhanced Oil Recovery; using local materials to enhance and optimize oil recovery from the reservoir.
- Onwukwe S. I, (2004) “Reservoir Engineering – Understanding its Scopes for Effective Evaluation of the Reservoir system” International Research Journal in Engineering Science and Technology. Vol. 1, No.2, 2004, p.18-23
- Onwukwe S. I and Obah B, (2004) “Natural Gas Utilization – Feasibility for Local Distribution inNigeria” Journal of Research in NationalDevelopment, vol. 2, No. 2, 2004, pp. 1-10
- Onwukwe S. I and Obah B, (2009) “Production Optimization in Thin-oil Column with Horizontal WellPlacement” OilGas European Magazine, Volume 35, Number 3. p.121-123.
- Onwukwe S. I, (2009) “Gas-to-Liquid-Technology: Prospect for Natural Gas Utilization in Nigeria” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, (Elsevier) Volume 1, Issue 6. p.190-194.
- Akpoturi P, Onwuachi I. P, Onwukwe S (2012) ‘‘Amplified empirical correlations for estimating effective oil permeability and some fluid parameters as functions of pressure for reservoirs in the NigerDelta’’ African Journal of Engineering Research and Development, Vol. 5, No.1. p.8-12
- Onwukwe S. I and Nwakaudu M. S, (2012) “Drilling Wastes Generation and Management Approach,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Development, Vol. 3, No. 3. p.252-257
- Udie, A. C; Nwakaudu, M. S; Anyadiegwu, C. I. C; Onwukwe, S. I; Enenebeaku, C. K, (2014)“Improving Condensate Recovery Using Water Injection Model at Dew-Point Pressure” American Journal of Engineering Research. Vol. 03, Issue 02, p.54-62
- Onwukwe S. I (2014) “Adaptation of Thermal Desorption in the Treatment of Oil Based Drill Cuttings” International Journal of Engineering and Technical Research. Vol. 2, Issue 12. p.78-80
- Stanley Onwukwe, Ugochukwu Duru, Boniface Obah (2014) “Performance of Water Injection in OilRim Reservoir Recovery Factor” Journal of Petroleum Engineering and Technology. Volume 4, Issue 2.p.31-38
- Onwukwe S. I. and Duru U. I. (2015) “Prospect of Harnessing Associated Gas through Natural GasHydrate (NGH) Technology in Nigeria” Journal of Petroleum and Gas Engineering. Vol. 6(3), p. 38-44
- Onwukwe S. I, Ogbuagu C. I, Obah B. (2015) “Review of Radial Drilling Technology and ViableProspect in Mature Field Development in the Niger Delta”, Journal of Petroleum Engineering and Technology. Vol.5, Issuue 2. p.60-66
- Stanley Onwukwe, Ugochukwu Duru, Princewill Ikpeka (2015) “Natural Gas Utilization through domestic Gas Distribution in Nigeria” Journal of Advanced Research in Petroleum Technology &Management. Vol 1, No 1. p.1-7
- Stanley Onwukwe (2015) “Techniques of Controlling Water Coning in Oil Reservoirs” Journal of Advanced Research in Petroleum Technology & Management. Vol 1, No 1. p.8-16
- Onwukwe S. I (2015) “Improving Efficiency of Gas Lift System in Horizontal Well through Perforated Dip Tube Lift System” International Research Journal in Engineering, Science and Technology. Vol.12, No.2. p.25-30
- Onwukwe S. I, (2015) “Enhancing Production from Oil Reservoir through Open Channel HydraulicFracturing” International Research Journal in Engineering, Science and Technology. Vol.12, No.2. p.6-12
- Nwachukwu A. N, Chukwu G. A, Onwukwe S. I, Chukwu F. I, Obah B (2015) “Synopsis of LaboratoryMethods for Characterizing Waxy Crude Oils” Journal of Advanced Research in Petroleum Technology & Management. Vol 1, No 2. p.1-11
- Nwachukwu A.N, Chukwu G.A, Onwukwe S.I, Chukwu F. (2016) “Establishment of Wax DepositionIndex from Saturates, Aromatics, Resins, Asphaltenes Analysis” Journal of Petroleum Engineering & Technology. Volume 6, Issue 1. P.1-8
- Ofesi, S. F., Onwukwe, S. I., & Duru, U. I. (2016). “Evaluating the Effect of High Flow Rate on LowViscosity Drilling Fluid with Respect to Hole Cleaning”. Journal of the Nigerian Association ofMathematical Physics, Volume 38, November, pp 291-296.
- Uwaezuoke N, Boniface Obah, Stanley I. Onwukwe, Kevin C. Igwilo (2016) An “EconomicEvaluation of Investment in Mucuna solannie Production” International Journal of Environment,Agriculture and Biotechnology (IJEAB) Vol-1, Issue-3, p.610-620
- Nwachukwu Angela N, Chukwu Godwin A, Onwukwe Stanley I, Chukwu Felicia I, Obah Boniface(2017) “Characterization of Identified Niger Delta Waxy Crudes” Petroleum Technology DevelopmentJournal. Vol. 7, No. 1. p.64-77
- Amadi, A. O; Onwukwe, S. I; Udie, C. A (2017) “Analysis of Water Injection in an ArtificiallyFractured Reservoir” American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER) Volume-6, Issue-5, pp-287-300
- Ofesi, S. F., Onwukwe, S. I., & Duru, U. I. (2017). “Optimizing Hole Cleaning Using Low ViscosityDrillingFluid”. Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development, Volume 14, Issue 1. p.55-61.
- Uwaezuoke N, Igwilo K. C, Onwukwe S. I and Obah B (2017). “Optimization of Mucunasolannie Mud Rheological Parameters” Journal of Petroleum Engineering and Technology. Volume 7, Issue 1 p.15–26
- Ohaegbulam M. C, Izuwa N. C, Onwukwe S. I (2017) “Analysis of Wellbore Pressure Drop onHorizontal Well Performance”. Oil Gas Research, Volume 3, Issue 2
- Uwaezuoke N, Igwilo K. C, Onwukwe S. I, Obah B (2017) “Effects of Temperature on Mucunasolannie Water-Based Mud Properties” International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research andScience (IJAERS). Volume 4, Issue 1. p.83-92
- Uwaezuoke N, Onwukwe S. I, Igwilo K. C and Obah B (2017) “Biopolymer Substitution and Impact on Cuttings Transport of a Lightweight Water-Based Drilling Fluid” Journal of Petroleum Engineering and Technology. Volume 7, Issue 2: p.54–64
- Ohia Nnaemeka, Nweke Franklin and Onwukwe Stanley (2018) “A Review of MicrobialEnhanced Oil Recovery Applications Projects” Oil & Gas Research. Volume, 4 Issue 2
- Onwukwe S. I and Izuwa N. C (2018) “Evaluation of Matured Oil Field Rim through FluidContacts Movement” Futo Journal Series (FUTOJNLS). Volume 4, Issue 1. p.383 – 392
- Izuwa N. C, Onwukwe S. I and Akinbamini O. E (2018) “Evaluation of Fines Assisted LowSalinity Water Flooding in Edge Water Drive Reservoirs” Journal of Petroleum & Environmental Biotechnology. Volume 9, Issue 4. P.1-7
- Joseph C. Nwosu, Stanley U. Ibeh, Stanley I. Onwukwe, Boniface O. Obah (2018) “Determination of compressibility Factor for Natural Gases using Artificial Neural Network” Petroleum and Coal Journal; 60(6): P.1193-1198
- Stanley I. Onwukwe (2018) “Economic Analysis of Oil Rim Reservoir Development in the NigerDelta” Journal of Advanced Research in Petroleum Technology & Management, Volume 4, Issue 3&4, P.13-19
- Patrick Godwin Oyindobra Ossai, Stanley Ibuchukwu Onwukwe, Nkemakolam Chinedu Izuwa, Princewill Nnaemeka Ohia (2018) “Waterflooding in Niger Delta Oil Reservoir Systems: Concept and Analysis” Journal of Advanced Research in Petroleum Technology & Management Volume 4, Issue 3&4,P. 36-41
- Uche C, Obah B, Onwukwe S. and Anyadiegwu C. (2019) “Optimizing Oil Recovery using NewInflow-Control Devices (ICDs) Skin Equation” Journal of Petroleum and Gas Engineering. Vol. 10(3), pp.33-48
- S. I. Onwukwe, N. C. Izuwa, E. E. Ileaboya, K. K.Ihekoronye (2019) “Optimizing Production in BrownFields Using Re-Entry Horizontal Well” Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development Vol. 18, No.1, pp.27-35
- Uwaezuoke, N; Izuwa, N. C; Onwukwe, S. I (2019) “Water Content of Sweet Natural Gas: ASimplified Formula-Based Approach” Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development Vol. 17, No.1,pp. 114-121
- Ariche Princewill O., Onwukwe S.I., Duru Ugochukwu and Chikwe Anthony (2019) “OptimizingLiquid Recovery from a Gas Condensate Reservoir Operating below Dew Point” European Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, 6(10). pp. 21-35
- N. Uwaezuoke; S. I. Onwukwe; A. J. Ibegbu (2019) “Uncertainty in Fluid Flow Measurement: A CaseStudy of Flow Measurement Comparison Through PVC and Steel Pipes at Varying Temperatures for Liquid with Small Air Bubbles” Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development Vol. 17, No.1, 2019, pp. 71-78
- J. C. Onyemachi, S. I. Onwukwe, Ugochukwu Ilozurike Duru, A. O. Chikwe, N. Uwaezuoke (2020)“Enhancing oil recovery through nanofluids fooding with Irvingia gabonensis in the Niger Delta” Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-020-00953-x
- Solomon U. Eke, Stanley I. Onwukwe, Joseph O. Ebeniro. (2020) “Determination of Possible Point of Wax Depositionalong Flowlines in the Niger Delta” Journal of Petroleum Engineering & Technology; 10(3): 1–8p.
- Akhajeme E, Onwukwe S. I, Ebeniro J. O, Imasuen O. I (2020) “Geological and PetrophysicalEvaluation of Well and Reservoir Development: Case Study of a Niger Delta Oil Reservoir” Journal of Advanced Research in Petroleum Technology and Management. Volume 6, Issue 1&2, Pg. No. 7-14
- Ekejiuba, A.I.B., Onwukwe, S.I. and Gbaden, E.T. (2020) “Cost-Benefit Approach to ReplacingConventional Test Separators with Multiphase Flowmeters in Today’s Well Performance Monitoring” European Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, 7(9):1-4
- Anthony O. Chikwe, Kechinyere B. Oyoh, Dulu Appah, Stanley I. Onwukwe (2021) “Comparative study of pipeline and marine transportation modes for Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) products from Nigeria to Overseas” Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 8(1):18-26
- Mathew Chidube Udechukwu, Boniface Obah, Charley Iyke Anyadiegwu, Stanley Onwukwe, Ubanozie Julian Obibuike, Stanley Toochukwu Ekwueme (2022) “Modelling Flare Gas Recovery System for Recovery and Utilization of Stranded Associated Gas in the Niger Delta”. International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Engineering; 10(1): 1-16.
- Stanley I. Onwukwe, Ugochukwu I. Duru, Angela N. Nwachwukwu, Nnaemeka Uwaezuoke, Daniel O. Ndem, Chuks J. Onyemachi. Enhanced Oil Recovery Through the Application of Nanoparticles with Irvingia Gabonensis in Flooding Process in the Reservoir. Journal of Petroleum Engineering & Technology. 2022; 12(2): 1–9p.
- Onwukwe S. I, Obah B, and Chukwu, G. A, (2012) “A Model Approach of Controlling Coning in OilRim Reservoirs” SPE Paper 163039, presented at the 36th Annual SPE International Technical Conference and Exhibition in Abuja, Aug. 6 – 8. 2012.
- Ohaegbulam Chukwudi, Ibeh Stanley, Obah Boniface and Onwukwe Stanley, (2018) “A RealisticKick Simulator for Casing Design-Part 2: Well Design and Execution” SPE Paper SPE-193390-MS, presented at the Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition in Lagos, Aug. 6 – 8. 2018.
- C. I. Uche, B. Obah, S. Onwukwe, C. Anyadiegwu, O. Boluwatife, I. Bukar and J. Uche (2018)“Derived Equation for Skin Due to Restricted Fluid Entry into ICD” SPE Paper SPE- 193381-MS, presented at the Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition in Lagos, Aug. 6 – 8. 2018.
- P. E. Oviawele, S. I Onwukwe, N. A. Nwachukwu, and I. Onyejekwe (2019) “Improving thermodynamic Properties of Export Gas Through Condensate Spiking” SPE paper: SPE-198805-MS, presented at the Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition, Lagos
- Uche Chukwunonso Ifeanyi, Onwukwe Stanley, Obah Boniface, C Anyadiegwu, and EzinneNneobocha (2019) “Use of ICD Wellbore Models to Improve History Match in ICD Completions” SPEpaper: SPE-198748-MS, presented at the Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition, Lagos
- Fikemi Fred, Ndubuisi Okereke, Fuat Kara, Stanley Onwukwe, Adegboyega Ehinmowo, YahayaBaba, Onyebuchi Nwanwe and Jude Odo (2020) “Techno-Economic Comparison of Self-Lift and Gas-Lift Slug Mitigation in Deepwater” SPE paper: SPE-203693-MS, SPE Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition.
- Chukwunonso Uche, Samuel Esieboma, Jennifer Uche, S. I.Onwukwe, C. I. C. Anyadiegwu,Oduyemi Boluwatife (2020) “Use of New Approach in Estimating Skin in an ICD Completion” SPE paper:SPE-203609-MS, SPE paper:.doi:10.2118/203609-ms.
- Effiong Essien, Uchenna Onyejiaka, Stanley Onwukwe, and Nnaemeka Uwaezuoke (2021)“Improving Water Injectivity Through Lateral Radial Drilling into the Reservoir” SPE paper: SPE-207194-MS, presented at the Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition, Lagos
Research Gate Profile URL: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Onwukwe-Ibuchukwu
Google Scholar Page URL: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=hyIgz7oAAAAJ&hl=en
Scopus URL: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=35109571700