Prof. John Didacus Njoku
2004 – 2007, Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria.
PhD in Geography & Environmental Management (Remote Sensing application to resources management)
1991 – 1992, University of Lagos, Akoka Lagos, Nigeria
MSc in Geography & Planning (Remote Sensing & Mapping of Environmental Resources)
1981 – 1985, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria,
BSc (Hons.) in Geography & Regional Planning
Federal University of Technology Owerri, study Fellowship for PhD, 2003 – 2006.
- Research Fellow, the Earth System Governance Network (c/o Utrecht University, The Netherlands)
- Research Affiliate, Institute of Environmental Health and Environmental Justice (IEHEJ), FUTO, Nigeria
- Research Associate, Centre for Res. and Inter. Dev. Federal Univ. of Technology Owerri.
- Member, Nigeria Environmental Society
- Member, Nigerian Cartographic Association
- Member, Association of Nigerian Geographers
- Member, International Review Panel for Earth System Governance Network Project: International
Conferences, 2019 – Date
- Member, Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography, USA
- Member, International Society for Urban Health (ISUH), New York, USA
- Member, Imo State Environmental Protection Agency Public Awareness Working Group for the UNDP Support Program on Environment and Natural Resources Management (1996)
- Member, Imo State Productivity Committee (1995 – 2003)
- Member, Imo State Export Promotion Committee, (1996 – 2003)
- Member, Imo State Committee on African Growth and Opportunity Act of the USA (1998 – 2003)
Courses Assigned to Teach
- FUTO Land Reclamation Group, experts Committee set up by FUTO (2023 – Date)
- Chairman, Committee of Deans (2022 – 2023)
- Dean, School of Environmental Sciences, Fed. Univ. of Technology Owerri, Imo State (2021 – Date)
- Member, University Senate (2011 – 2023)
- Member, the Senate Committee on Nomenclature of programmes and PG School Curriculum, Federal
University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria
- Member, the University Committee on Code of Ethics, Federal University of Technology, Owerri (2016-
- Pioneer Associate/Deputy Dean, School of Environmental Technology, Federal University of
Technology, Owerri (2014 – 2016)
- Pioneer HoD/Chairman, D e p t . of Urban & Regional Planning, Federal Univ. of Technology Owerri,
2010 – 2017.
A p p l i e d c l i m a t o l o g y and e n v i r o n m e n t a l v u l n e r a b i l i t y a s s e s s m e n t and monitoring, natural resources dynamics, climatic variations and socio-economic impacts, and environmental change management)
- Chicago, IL USA
JD Njoku: Floodwater Harvesting: The ecosystem tool and solution to soil conservation and management in
Igboland, Nigeria, paper presented at the 17th ISA Annual International Conference Dominican University,
Chicago, Illinois, May 9-11, 2019.
- Guadalajara, Mexico
JD Njoku, K. Ukaegbu, M. Iwuji and U. Nwuze (2016): GIS-Based Mapping and Statistical Analysis of Atmospheric Pollution in Port Harcourt, Southern Nigeria, paper presented at the 67th International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Guadalajara, Mexico, 26-30 September 2016.
- Nairobi, Kenya
2015: The 2nd Africa Ecosystem Based Adaptation for Food Security Conference, on the theme, ‘ Re- imagining Africa Food Security through harnessing Ecosystem based Adaptation (EBA) Approaches Now and Into the Future under Climate Change, 30 -31 July, at the United Nations/ROA Complex, Nairobi, Kenya (see www.afsac2.aaknet.org)
- Nairobi, Kenya
2013: Integrating Ancestral Technology of Flood Water Harvesting as a Decision Support Tool in a Climate
Change Regime among the Mbaise People of Southeastern Nigeria. Paper presented at the 1s t African Food Security Conference, on theme “Harnessing Ecosystem-based Approaches for Food Security and Adaptation to Climate Change” 20 – 21 August, 2013 at the United Nations Complex, Nairobi, Kenya. (See http://www.foodsec.aaknet.org/index.php/2012-02-29-04-53-46/2012-02-29-04- 55-17/itemlist/category/8- aquatic-ecosystems for details.
- Algiers, Al geria
2009: Third African Leadership Conference on “Space Science and Technology for Sustainable Development on the theme, “Building African Partnerships in Space”, 7th – 9th December. Presented paper on “The Detection and Monitoring of Drought occurrences in the Desert Fringe and Sahel Region of Northern Nigeria using Satellite Technology”
- Abeokuta, Nigeria
1997: Conference of Business Association Executives on Public Policy Advocacy in Nigeria organized between 13th – 19th July, by National Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, Nigeria and The Centre for International Private Enterprise, Washington DC, USA.
Key Local and International Seminars, Trainings / Workshops
- Atlanta, GA
2019: Participated and completed the 41st Climate Reality Leadership Corps training session, on Climate Crises
Management, in Atlanta GA, March 14 – 16, organized by The Climate Reality Project, based in Washington
- Owerri, Nigeria
2012: Advanced Digital Appreciation Programme for Tertiary Institutions (ADAPTI) organized 27th February –
2nd March by the Nigerian Communications Commission, Abuja, through the Digital Bridge Institute an
International Centre for Communications Studies, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Nairobi, Kenya
2011: The International Conference on Applied Geo-informatics for Society and Environment (AGSE) and
Fourth International Summer School of the Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences, Germany on the theme, “Geo-information for a Better World” at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Nairobi, Kenya, August 15 – 19. Paper presented “Investigation into the Nature of Forest Degradation in Southeastern Nigeria Using Remote Sensing Techniques”.
- Juliasdale, Zimbabwe
2002: Workshop on Developing Small and Medium Industries (SMIs) Sector based on Clustering and Networking
Approach organized by UNIDO, April 22 – 26.